Friday, September 29, 2006

The "Good News" about my screenprinting...

is that all is not lost! I can go back into the screen and fill in some of the areas, such as the inside of the banner and a few other areas that my ink seeped through, however lightly, and refill it. Once it is dry and checked once again, the drawing ink is applied before my flood and print strokes are made.

Oh, and the ink itself, is water-based, and not exactly like the ink a rubberstamper is used to which is more fluid-y and thinner in nature. It is thicker in consistency, comparable to the Golden's Fluid Acrylics in consistency with a touch of gel characteristics. I had to ask Don if it was supposed to be like this, lol. Once mixed with the extender base in a 1:1 ratio, it is ready to be applied to the screen.

As I mentioned before it takes very little. Don applied mine to the screen for me and I was even amazed. He put on a bit more than we need but it can be returned to the bottle afterwards by gently scrapping the squeegee so there is little waste. As far as an amount goes, remember I used a 8x10 frame, so I'd say about a 1/2 teaspoon is plenty. We used a plastic disposable spoon, but from some experience with painting, next time I want to try using a palette knife to spread it across the bottom of the screen the length of my squeegee. Just remember if you try this, the flood stroke is made while the screen is lifted off the object your printed onto, then lowered prior to making the print stroke. It is truly easy!

Also, if you are a mixed media artist who'd like to try this without too much expense, I saw a tutorial on a live journal blog by craftgrrl who used silk screen and embroidery hoop and modge podge to fill the fill the masked areas. It worked great! Here is a link: www.livejournal.com/community/craftgrrl/3674467.html Of course, you'll need the black screen printing ink and possibly the base extender. Enjoy!

No comments: