Saturday, October 21, 2006

Other creative things....

I talked about time and doing things in a timely manner... I know a lot of people struggle with time management, finding a balance in their lives, ect. yet this seems to be one thing that I struggle with the most. Finding a way to do it all... fitting it all into my life. I truly believe taking care of oneself is the most important thing a person can do. Not only for themselves but for all the significant others in their lives as well. So, yesterday I took some creative time for me.

Not artwork, but related to it. I browsed online, with a pen and a tablet of paper handy. As I visited some stationery supply stores online, I jotted down three pages of ideas simply for addressing envelopes. LOL! I swear, I've written my name, address, city, state, and zip more in the day yesterday than I probably have ever at one time in my entire life. But I learned a lot. It isn't just about lettering styles, it is also about presentation.

Although, the rough sketches I created are currently on lined notebook paper, I am desiring to re-write them onto some blank sheets of paper that will later be bound into a new address book, or added to an existing spiral bound one, or possibly to a lunchbox tin made into a card organizer. I haven't exactly decided which way to go with it yet, but I'm thinking the later will probably end up being the way to go for me as why should I try to recreate the wheel? Other things I'd like to add is dimensions of cards, bookmarks, ect., a metric conversion chart, postal information for like a standard postcard size and other postal regulations. I thought it would be wonderful to have all this information in one spot and be added to my existing staionery suitcase.

I've previously typed up and printed a perpectual calendar in MS Word to be copied and reduced to fit the divider sections for the months of the year. I just need to remember to make my template for the dividers first, take them to Office Depot with me, and resize them accordingly.

It just dawned on me while writing this post that those sketches would also be useful for addressing postage for swaps, RAK's, ect. and for decorating the envelopes. Not only using that info for filling in my return address but for addressing them to others as I send things. I'm also thinking of adding in just a plain small black cat's eye pad and putting some mail art style stamps in a decorated cd tin --- just to have handy.

My cards are still blank. I haven't gotten around to decorating them yet although I did find some online sketches for cards at www.pagemaps.com designed by Becky Fleck that I find interesting. I may just have to trek out to the studio today, pull a stack of printed paper in the same color schemes and choose a few of those sketches to start with. I'm thinking instead of trying to accomplish each sketch to start with, to simply chose 4 or 5 designs I'd like to create and then make 6 or 8 cards from it. It would be a start anyways and often that is the hardest part for me with any project ---- simply getting started!

I also am desiring to stamp out the image I've choosen for the bookmarks that I want to give along with the gift certificate to Barnes & Nobles. I won't be finishing them, however, once they are stamped, I can color them in while watching TV or relaxing in the upcoming month.

I think I'm going to make a day just to do nothing else but creating the journal covers that will also be Christmas gifts, and another day just to cut the book pages. Since I will be making two different styles of books, some coptic stitched and some accordians, I will need to set aside another day for one or the other.

As I write this, I'm realizing that I am accomplishing some of my dreams and desires. Although, there isn't a beautiful piece of artwork to show for it... I'm making some progress! {*smile}

No comments: