Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Making a bit more progress...

I've added a metallic trim varigated ribbon to the image in the sections of the dress. The ribbon is couched in a ruffled manner really adding dimension to this piece --- right along with the silk ribbon roses in pink and purple that have also been added. I used a satin stitch in a green DMC 3 strand floss to accentuate leaves.

After Don and I took a ride this evening to have a nice dinner out at one of my favorite restaurants, we made a quick stop into JoAnn's for beading needles. I also was stoked to find a metallic Kreink thread kit {Anniversary #5} on clearance for $3.49! The silver threads were used instead of my original idea to use black for the birdcage. It was a quite a challenge working with these metallic threads but by the time I'd threaded several needles, I had the hang of it. I quickly learned a shorter thread length of approximately 12 inches is plenty to deal with at one time and had few tangles and snags in the fabric. I also needed to use great care to watch the thread as I sewed with a firm yet gently tension on the thread so as not to snag any of my silk ribbon work. I also discovered that it was best to use a needle threader with the beading needles! It certainly made threading those so much easier. My first attempt at threading a beading needle was definately beginner's luck; my thread went right in. Threading the next strand, I wasn't so lucky and spent almost 15 minutes attempting it...before finally giving in and grabbing a needle threader. Now I know that the next time to simply use it, LOL! What a life-saver!!!

No comments: