Thursday, August 18, 2005

Do you smell smoke?

I've really been thinking lately that I really need to get back into getting my butt back out into the studio more often. I have an absurd amount of $$$ tied up in not only my SB supplies, but rubberstamps and bookbinding supplies, as well as the studio fixtures, space, etc. and I believe I'm feeling a little guilty because I feel as if it is simply sitting there!

Granted I have done better recently creating Donna's tag and 7 books total this month alone, but I have to wonder how much artwork I could actually crank out if I really truly put my mind to it? I hear myself constantly saying "so many projects and so little time" but truly it isn't that I don't have the time; it is that I simply don't do it.

I know I NEED to get out there and reorganize. The place is a mess! There is so much stuff that needs done:

* the shelf that has fallen, for the 3rd time!, that I need to get out of the cabinet and have it cut down
* Boxes of stuff that I simply haven't messed with and to be completely honest, some things I simply know I have but don't know where they are
* There are still a few boxes , a couple punch pals {who knows where my punches are?}, and my art easel still in in the attic
* There is a file box filled with hanging files and two 2" thick manilla envelopes filled with magazine clippings I've never filed since cutting them out
* unmounted stamps that need EZ Mount cushion
* need to find my extra blades for the rotary trimmer
and these are just what I can list off the top of my head!

Don & I took a ride to Mansfield last night and I decided to stop into Hobby Lobby --- as if I really needed to do that! Anyways, a lot of their SB supplies, rubberstamps, and inks were on on sale for 1/2 off so I purchased 2 new stamp sets, some HS rub on's {since I have no more T, R, S's and L, M, N's to use any of the remaining ones I have} a sheet of alpha stickers --- since I never seem to have enough of them, and extra cutting blades---see? here I go "justify my purchases now, LOL!".

Anyways, while we were in there, we met up an acquaintaince that works at JoAnn's who is just getting started in scrapbooking, when I thought to myself, "What is a good price limit to set on a hobby?" Is it a $1000.00? $5000.00? possibly even, $10,000.00?

Then it struck me that since I began creating scrapbooks, learned rubberstamping, got into all the altered art stuff like ATC's, boxes, altered books, mixed media, and collage, I have spent well over that! Granted it has been over the span of coming close to 9 years.

If something were to happen to me tomorrow, my dd would definately hate me! What would she do with all my things? She has no were to put them. Of course, Don would allow her to store it here but that isn't my point.

The point is, I probably have enough stuff that if I never purchased another sheet of paper in my life I'd never run out! I might only need to buy adhesives. Embellishments? No. Heck, I can, could, and do make a lot of them... and have a slew of items like my brass stencils, bottle caps, diamond glaze, Sizzix die cuts, rubberstamps and........ man, could this list ever go on and on............... that I could use to create them. So, why am I still out buying?

Why am I buying at HL when I have a wishlist of items I'd really truly like to have? Why am I buying, period? {Please, understand this isn't a "look at what have thing" but it is ME -- doing some deep soul-searching!}

If I was designing for publication, I can see making purchases to keep up with the trends. Let's face it, that is what the magazine editors are after. The latest and greatest goo-gads & gadgets, who is putting what manufacturers products out there in the best possible fashion. But I haven't submitted a thing in how long? Granted the idea of submitting and getting my artwork out there is something I think I'd love to do, but I really need to ask myself IF that is really what I want for myself. Do I really want to be caught up in the spending of more $$$ simply for the chance to make that happen? And quite frankly, no I don't. I'd really like to use what I have already accumulated, stop dreaming about cleaning the studio and do it, {LOL! yes that happened}; use the knowledge that I have to explore my creative self further. I don't even think I have scratch the surface of what I know is inside me and create the artwork that I'm confident I can create.

I look at some of the well-known artists that I love, trust me there's simply too many to list. They are creative, very unique, have their own "niche" cut out, focus in their field of artwork while I feel scattered. Am I trying to do too much? Do I simply need to narrow it down? Would I be happy if I did? Probably not. Why? Because I love different aspects of each of my hobbies.
So, what is the answer?

First of all, for me, it to get my butt up out of this chair go get my studio organized the way I want it. Create a list of what it is "I think I need" to use what I have, and start putting the knowledge and talent to use creating the way I desire to create. Even if it means pushing myself out of my comfort zone, walking to the studio daily in rain, sleet, ice and snow, and simply create! I NEED to pull out that list of projects of thing I've been desiring to create and start creating them. I need to FOCUS! Do you think cleaning my studio will help me do that, LOL! At least then, maybe I'd stop dreaming of walking through cobwebs and dusting an inch of dust off the shelves! I think my subconscious mind is telling me something...........

No comments: