Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Use it or Lose it!

What's that saying..........Use it of Lose it! Well, I am especially finding out just how that true that is yesterday and today. Yesterday, I had to look up the instructions for the Baby Blessings book, I could not for the life of me remember where the Japanese Stab Binding started. After a few failed attempts, I headed for the studio for some of instruction sheets.

Today, I decided I'd like to try a different coptic stitch called a double needle coptic and I got stuck trying to remember how to attach the first signature to the cover. Now I know I begin inside the first signature, stitch to the outside, but do I go over or under the cover? Urghhh. Back to the studio, I go to get those instruction sheets. I have never attempted sewing a double needle coptic stitch before, however, thanks to an online friend, I received one in the mail yesterday. I was so amazed someone would actually create and send me one! I was in search of the instructions; I knew I had them at one time, however, I could not for the life of me remember which book in my bookbinding library contained them. I guess this is additional proof that I really need to get re-organized, LOL! Anyways, I received a beautiful handmade book but no instructions. I got lucky that I was able to think rationally, look at the book structure and figure it out.

Re-organizing was on the top of my priority list of things to accomplish today, but I simply do not feel like it. I guess I never really realized that I had a "re-organizing mood" before. It usually happens when I've created such a mess that I cannot find anything I had ten minutes before. Trust me, that inspires and motivates me to just do it! Well, not today! I gathered up the supplies I needed and drug them back into the house with me. And the box of supplies that needs to be taken out to studio.... it is still in the same place I left it..... on the chair by the back door! So I begin to think, "okay, I need to accomplish something today." so I start cutting down sheets of paper, scoring them, nestling them in to form the signatures of the book. I realize I'd forgotten just how redundant this task is.... so I decide to divide and conquer it. Now, I've probably enough sheets cut to create an entire edition of 6 books! Guess, I'll have a head start for the next one I decide to create, LOL!

Unfortunately, book don't create themselves and in order to create a double needle coptic binding, I need book covers. So, off I go to create them!

No comments: