Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Labor Day Weekend Adventures.......

Don & I went shopping on Sunday. Took a trip to Stein Mart where I purchased a beautiful lightweight sweater prior to heading to Schottenstien's. I picked up a new lampskin coat; love the smell of new leather! Nothing wrong with the one I had except it is beginning to show signs of wear... Okay for running everyday errands while my new one will be worn when occasions warrant "looking good", LOL! Also, found a beautiful pair of medium heeled suede boots which will need waterproofing prior to wearing and a new pair of tennies......... which I wore yesterday to Fort Wayne, IN while we visited the Children's Zoo and revisted Headwaters Parks. The mastodons on parade are still on exhibit and I shot over 4 rolls of film between the two places.

I believe my favorite part of the zoo was...... well, it was hard to choose just one, LOL! The Africa exhibit, involved a lot of walking, viewed Crowned Cranes, a variety of water foul, gazelles, and giraffes. The zebras were in a holding section as they will attack two baby gazelles born early in August. The Rainforest exhibit was awesome; tucked under a huge atrium to control the moist, rainy climate it featured amazing plants, water features including a waterfall and bridges created from tropical plants and bamboo. The Indonesia exhibit was exciting to me. Lots of tools created from rocks, tree bark; books on nature, and jars filled with specimans each labelled with manilla tags inspired me in my artwork for my Autumn nature journal. I made some quick sketches on whatever paper I could find in the Jeep, LOL! We next visited the Austrilian section of the zoo, where there are aquariums. Seeing some of the different varieties of jelly fishes and sharks sparked some interest. There was also a working farm within the zoo providing examples of a farm complete with barn, a work horse named "Maize", dog house {no, not for the farmer himself, LOL, but for the dog that worked the farm}. Even an old-fashioned outhouse! {which lovingly reminded me of two internet friends in Kentucky and West Virginia who gently tease one another re: painting the outhouse every Spring. Kate and Cathy, you two are a hooot!}

It was a nice relaxing ride, the weather in the low 80's, traffic not heavy, and provided a nice, relaxing ride for us. Dinner at the Golden Corral off exit 25 {yep, the same exit we experience our flat tire adventure in August} was a great way to end the day. We arrived home shortly after 9 p.m., safe, sound, and tired. My feet well-broke in from wearing my new tennies, LOL!

A few quick telephone calls made to my parents and Christine completed the day before I climbed between the sheets. Chris & I are hopeful to possibly get together soon; she's in between homes trying to pack up one to move to the new one. She seems very excited to be on with it; of course, it means a new studio of her own for her creative endeavors which will be on hold for a bit. I'll post a link to her blog later --- when she begins updating it again.

For me, I'm planning to work on the studio re-organizing again soon. My day today will be spent cleaning, laundry, and grocery shopping; along with a quick visit to my Mom's and the Post Office. I've two journals to send onward and a gift for a kind internet friend who lovingly created me a pocket tag for my nature journal. I think she'll be pleased with my selected gifts for her. Hopefully, I'll have some new artwork to feature soon --- I'm itching to begin something new! *tootles*

No comments: