Thursday, February 02, 2006

Don's Six Week Follow up Appt. and Baby Shower Preparations

Yesterday was a gorgeous day here in Ohio; albeit a bit chilly later in the afternoon, but out day started out just like any other day around here ---- hitting the floor running. Don had his six week follow-up visit with Dr. Lambardi for his total left knee replacement. We had a pleasant enough drive, listened to some awesome CD's Shane recently burned for us, and chatted along the way.

Arriving at Dr. Lambardi's office, we had a bit of a wait which wasn't too uncomfortable as we chatted with another woman and her mother from Marietta, Ohio until Don was taken back in for x-rays and his follow up appointment. After the x-rays were developed, they appear on a computer screen in the actual examination room for the Dr. and Nurses to view. Dr. Lambardi's nurse was one of the first to come in, and as she flipped throught the views on the computer screen she came to one which actually showed Don's prior to surgery x-ray and his after the surgery x-ray taken previously yesterday. WoW! What an improvement! As she turned to show the x-ray screen to Don of this view explaining what we were viewing, Don got chocked up a bit, saying, "I can never truly express how much this means to me and Thank you for everything!" I believe the emotion he expressed caught us both a little off guard, as we both had tears swell up in our eyes. Dr. Lambardi appeared shortly thereafter and Don once again couldn't thank him enough! Anyways, the good news is his knee is healing nicely, he has 100 degree range of motion in bending the knee ---- excellent for 7 weeks after the surgery! and he doesn't need any additional physical therapy. We see him again in one year!

After Don's Dr.'s visit and a restroom break, we walked through to the hospital side of the New Albany Medical Center, we made a quick stop into the cafeteria for a snack to settle my upset stomach from taking a couple Excederine earlier. Then, ventured onto the elevator to visit the 2nd floor of the hospital. Don wanted to see Carlos, his physical therapist who assisted him during his hospital stay. Carlos' face lite up when he looked up and saw Don, they laughed and chatted for a few minutes after Don said, "Thank you for all you did for me during my stay here!" I can say it was quite an experience during the time, but afterwards you truly begin to appreciate each and every member of the team that makes all this so worthwhile in the end!

Afterwards, we drove I-161 West into Columbus to go to Burlington Coat Factory's Baby Depot. I'd been on their website several times during the last few days while searching for ideas and planning Amber's baby shower so while in the area, we decided to go and look. I'm not certain what I want to do within my own home for my grandchild yet. Not sure about purchasing a 3 in one playpen that has a diaper changer, a bassinet, and playpen or if I want to purchase an actual 3-in-1 or a 4-in-1 baby crib. So, we went, we saw, we priced....... LOL! and I am still no further along in what decision to make that is right for me. I can say I am leaning more towards purchasing a 4-in-1 crib as to get more bang for my bucks!

Afterwards, we browsed some more and I couldn't get over all the supplies I'd forgotten a baby needs! Of course, I think we all remember all the big ticketed items, but what I am talking about is all the little things........ grooming supplies, safety preparations, medical.......... Wow! It was "eye opening" to say the least. I did purchase a white wicker basket filled with Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder, Baby Magic, diaper cream, baby bath soap and shampoo. I came with a lullabye CD, too cute!

As Don's stomach begin to growl, we headed down to Sawmill Rd. to go to Boston Market for lunch, before driving to I-270 to 23 N. A quick stop into Michael's got into my pocket a bit, LOL! There I purchased $48 worth of Baby Shower items. I found a few of the items on my Wilton wish list, so I won't need to order them now since Michael's had them in stock. I got the pastel cupcake cups, the blue and pink diaper plastic diaper pins for the "Don't Say, "Baby!" game, and both Wilton Comfort Grip Cookie Cutters in a butterfly and a flower shape for pastel frosted sugar cookies! These will be on a platter at the shower and I picked up 100 clear shaped treat bags to give each guest a package.

In the wedding section, I found some heart shaped charms that are engraved, "Thanks" that I want to use with some pastel sheer ribbon to create bookmarks for each guest to accompany the sugar cookies for each guest to take home. These will allow us to make our own to match our, "Daisy, Tulip, and Butterfly" theme. I, also, purchased some white tulle circles from the wedding section and some pastel colored metallic curling ribbon in all the colors I needed in one container to wrap up 5 or 6 cool pastel colored votices I found that will be perfect for the party favors, a package of 12 vanilla candles to fill them. {I figured I can alway pick up more at a later date.} Not bad, at all for the $$$ I spent......... guess, I'm starting to like this idea of creating for Amber's baby shower..... as long as I can recruite some assistance, LOL!

Upon returning back to town, we stopped by Amber & Chris's to look at the rooms they remodeled recently. Amber & I chatted about the baby shower while we made some Taco Salad for dinner and she loved my ideas!!!!! She's coming over today to begin discussing what we need yet and to plan times to assist me..... I'm flabbergasted!

No comments: