Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Making time for the things in life that truly matter...

After puttering around in the kitchen for most of the day Monday, I decided I'd go over and visit with Amber and Alexxis. I arrived a little after after 6 p.m. and couldn't get over just how alike the two of us really are. When I arrived, Amber was in the throws of juggling Alexxis, preparing beef stew for dinner, and catching up on some laundry. I couldn't help but notice how tired she seemed. She hadn't showered, the bounce in her step was gone, and the only time I noticed her smiling was when she looked at Alexxis. As I offered to feed and burp Alexxis and soon after got her settled in to sleep, Amber and I chatted carelessly, talking about housework, the baby, and all the recent things we've both been doing I realized just how busy we've both been.

Me with the kitchen painting and redecorating and her with the new baby, housework, and learning to juggle it all. As I watched her, I admired her. I saw her strength although she was tired, I saw her show love although she wasn't loving herself, I saw her light up when she set about caring for her new little one although she hadn't taken the time to care for herself. It made me wonder why I never realized she was so much like me; always doing and being and taking care of everyone else around her? Anyways, we had a great visit and I arrived home a bit after 11.

Yesterday, I telephoned her and asked when she was coming to visit. She rattled off a list of things she had to do, so I offered to keep Alexxis for her so she could do them. Although a bit hesitant, later in the afternoon she telephoned me asking me if I'd like to keep Alexxis for a bit in the evening and of course, I jumped at the chance! So, Alexxis and I spent the evening together. She slept for the most part, being awake only for feedings. I couldn't get over how much she looks like her momma! how good she smells, how soft her skin is, and how much she's truly captured my heart.

Amber and Chris arrived a bit after 9 and stayed and visited for a few minutes. She looked rejuvinated, refreshed, and ready to do this all over again. And once again, the second time in two days, I admired her. My own little girl has grown up and is giving back what was once given to her --- a mother's love! {smiles}

No comments: