Monday, June 26, 2006

What does all this have to do with creating an Artist's journal?

If you remember my reply in the original thread that started this entire process, I made a comment about desiring to begin an artist's journal but did not desire to be limited by the types of paper available to me. I want to use a variety of papers, some lightweight for drawing and sketching, some heavier for my Golden's fluid acrylics, some watercolor papers for watercolored backgrounds and sketches, and yes, even some vellums! I can simply imagine them being added over a watercolored scene and using a slick writer pen on the vellum as an overlay to journal on.

Since I one day desire to bind this in a book for a finished artist's journal, the items I previously mentioned will assure me a good quality book when the project is completed. I believe one aspect of this is that it will make this a wonderful adventure for me is I won't be limiting myself to the mediums I desire to use and in the ways that I desire to use them. I also think it will add to the visual quality of my artist journal once completed and bound together..... a mix of papers, mediums, and techniques!

Having a pre-determined size of paper to use will assist me greatly as I can create what I want, how I want and still be able to bind it whenever I feel the time is right. I'm almost certain that this won't be the first book the book I'll create this way as I am already loving the idea! But one thing that I will need to consider further is the type of binding because I'll either need to leave a margin of it or create signatures for it. Would you like to discuss some options? Come on, let's go.....

No comments: