Thursday, August 17, 2006

Sewing the Pamphlet stitch.. and the bound book

Next, I thread my needle with waxed linen thread. I determine the length of the thread by the lenght of the book cover X 3. Starting from the outside center hole, leaving a 2" tail, I sew through the book cover and the signatures to the top hole and come back out. From there, I skip the center hole, go the bottom hole and again stitch in through the book cover and the signatures. I pull the thread taunt, carefully, just enough to be sure it is snug without tearing. From the bottom hole on the inside of the book, I bring my needle up to the center again, using my opposite hand, I move the waxed linen tail on the outside of the cover over so that I can capture the single thread that I previously sewed, and bring my needle and thread back out of the signatures and the cover. Trim the thread with the needle end attached to 2" and tie a square knot after being certain the book is taunt. Here is a picture of the book actually bound. Posted by Picasa

No comments: