Saturday, February 24, 2007

I'm feeling better...

After a lot of rest, relaxing, reading, re-discovering...... I'd forgotten how frustrating and how emotional I can become when I am incapacitated. Thankfully, its been quite a while since I have felt this way and this time around it won't be nearly as long. Experiencing this pinched nerve was so totally unexpected; I believed I was mending nicely, and maybe I was --- well enough to do myself in, LOL! I really didn't think that it was too much at the time I was doing it... I guess sometimes we really have to live and learn. Trust me, I learned.... learned to take it easy, well, easier... especially the last few days.

My Thursday was another difficult day pain wise, but once I settled in and began to accept it as simply being, I certainly began to handle it a whole lot better. My evening was spent in bed, cozy and comfy in my pj's, propped up on pillows with a heating pad, reading, getting up frequently just to walk and get my circulation going once again. I did have a rather restless night; sort of up and down, reading my book, browsing online for a brief amount of time as looking even the slightest bit upwards hurt too bad to do for any length of time. Once back in bed, I slept like a baby! waking up with just enough time to leisurely putter around with a cup of coffee, getting a bath, dress, and out the door for my chiropractor's appointment.

Gary re-adjusted my spine, which thankfully stayed in alignment fairly well and performed some sort of an electrode therapy on the muscles in my lower neck, upper back, and into my right shoulder resulting in some major relief. Enough so that I felt up to going for a ride to JoAnn's on Polaris Parkway. Don encouraged me to purchase a yard of the velvet fabric I'd been desiring so I can begin my crazy quilt when I feel up to it. Maybe a mistake, LOL! as many yards of material later and a slip which read that I'd spent way more than expected; but it certainly brightened my mood.

Afterwards, I made a quick trip into Barnes and Nobles to pick up the latest issue of Somerset Studios. I'd been looking for it the week before, so I was very happy to see it on the shelves. I should just subscribe to it, but then, I'd have to find a new reason to venture all over, LOL! Anyways, I decided last minute to check out some books on Crazy Quilting, seeing how I really have no idea what I'm doing. I was happy to find "The Magic of Crazy Quilting - A Complete Resource Guide for Embellished Quilting" Second Edition by J. Marsha Miehler. Having some of my own birthday money left after purchasing the six drawer dresser and hutch for Alexxis's room here, I purchase it. A short trip into the post office to mail the Surprise in a Box Swap packages and we were once again on our way home. I warmed up Don and I some meatloaf and potatoes from the Thursday's dinner and tucked myself in for the night.

Christine telephoned me to see if I was still interested in going out to Deb's for a night of creating. Unfortunately, I bowed out explaining my rough week and longingly wishing I'd just go. Sanity won out as I really didn't need to be lifting my totes, pushing, pulling them around, and had probably done enough for one day. She seemed to be very understanding, although she seemed to be like me, a bit disappointed. About a half-hour later, Deb telephoned me to wish me well wishes. She herself had recently experienced a bout with the flu, so she understood but offered to come and get me should I change my mind. How sweet of her!

I tucked myself back into bed along with my new reads and stayed there until Don returned home; only getting up occasionally to let Chaos out and back in and stretch my limbs occassionally. Sleep last night was a little rougher... I slept soundly but awoke really early at 4 a.m. this morning. Most of morning has been spent, watching TV, lounging leisurely, and researching Crazy Quilting! I believe I'm hooked and I haven't even started yet, LOL!

I did make some pages of notes regarding fabrics, needle sizes, supplies... ideas.... sampler ideas but that is about as far as I got. My sis telephoned today to chat with me and see how I was doing and we got to discussing Crazy Quilting. She's never heard of it, but trust me, I think she'll want to try it, too. She loves working with fabric. It would be nice to share thoughts, ideas, and facts with one another as well as split up and share our supplies. I know there are some items that I have on hand that I could easily share with her, so she is going to look into it and get back with me.

We are in for another Winter storm watch, right along with a lot of the US; except this time the weather service is expecting a mix of sleet, ice, snow and rain. I pray that it isn't as bad as expected regardless of where you're located. Don did a little grocery shopping, picking up necessities only, and then, picked up the dresser and hutch for me this morning. Once he returned home, I made us a fairly quick breakfast of eggs and toast before he headed off to work. I believe we'll be lucky and he will be home before it really begins to brew. Well, it is time for me to get some more rest once again... but I'll update as time and my continued improvement allows. {smiles}

2 comments:

Godelieve said...

Oh Cathy, you must have been in a lot of pain!! I recognize this!!
Take care, hope you're better really soon!

liannallama said...

Make sure you give your body time to heal! It took over 6 months for me to get over my whiplash from my accident--it's so frustrating to not be able to do your normal things. I am so sorry you are in so much pain lately--TAKE CARE of yourself!