Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Never assume.....




that simply because a pattern says, "Easy" that it was meant for a beginner! OMG! I've been working on sewing this dress for little Miss Alexxis McKenzie for hours! Although, it is a bit hard to tell in these photographs there are two very small pockets on the front of the dress. I just happened to get them lined right up with the polka dot pattern. What gave me fits is that the dress is sewn in two layers or with a white cotton liner. Also, who in the hell came up with the design for these ties???? OMG! I spent nearly an hour simply trying to turn them inside out before finally resorting to re-create my own a bit wider; then returned to struggling with two for the inside of the dress! {And here I thought that sewing was suppose to be relaxing, LOL!} The pattern calls for cutting four of the sides for the dress, however, it should also mention that one should make certain that the second side being sewn is right sides together before being sewn. I'm not certain how I managed that one, but in my frustation over the ties, I managed to do it wrong somehow and had to re-cut them and sew them up. Anyways,it is all good now; although I am refusing to hem this dress tonight. I believe I have definately earned a break... {smiles}. I am also thinking that I'd like to sew on some wide white rick-rack to the bottom of the dress and utilize two large white buttons sewn on by hand to the pockets.

Within this pattern is a floppy summer hat... can you tell I'm dying to try my hand at that, LOL! Maybe tomorrow....... {big grin!} For now I'm simply hoping that it fits her....

4 comments:

Godelieve said...

It looks wonderful Cathy!! She will be a little princess!

liannallama said...

ohmigosh! It's darling! Here's a tip to turn skinny ties. Make it a couple inches longer than you need. cut a notch about an inch away from the cut edge on the folded side, opposite of the seam. Then stick a bobby pin through the notch and into the inside of the tie (what will be the right side). Then you can use the bobby pin to wiggle it through itself. (ohmigosh, that doesn't make sense, but if you try it, it's really easy to do!) If that still doesn't make sense, I will try to draw it for you!

Cathy said...

Thank you, ladies. I'm certainly no seamstress, LOL! but I figure there's only one way to learn to sew and that's by doing it along with trial and error.

Lianne, I understand what you're saying. I tried that with a safety pin, however the ties were so thin that the even a small safety pin wouldn't pass through them; therefore I resulted to cutting new ones and sewing them a lot wider. I do appreciate the tip; you never know who may find it useful!

Debbi (no 'e' on the end) said...

Oh Cathy....you gave me such a chuckle with this....brought back memories of when I started sewing (my Home Ec teacher wrote "to the girl who rips" in my yearbook if that gives you some idea). This little sundress is adorable & you did a great job of lining up the pockets on the front. I can't wait to see the little hat when you are done. It really will get to be more relaxing....HONEST!!