Saturday, March 31, 2007

Gardening and Outdoor Spring Cleaning



Yesterday was a very busy day, starting out with only one cup of coffee before a quick dash was made for the bathtub, preparing for my weekly chiropractor appointment. It seems my upper back and neck are healing nicely enough now that we're reducing my treatments to once a week. I hope and pray this is the right thing to be doing, but the reality is I am getting back to my more normal level of activity and the pain is subsiding --- so I'm busy, busy, busy and feeling so much better.

Upon arriving back at home, my gardener's hands were begging to be digging into some dirt from the earth although my mind knows it is still too soon here in Ohio for such thoughts, so I compromised a bit by starting a few Jiffy trays of seeds: Dianthus, a wildflower perennieal mix, lupine, and Chrysanthemum fill one, while another has been established only for Lavender. I worked out the back deck, enjoying the 70 degree weather, the sunshine on my face, and the singing of the birds. As I worked with the small peat pellets, watering, watching them expand, fluffing them with my fingers as I added the variety of seeds, a mourning dove sang her cries overhead from the branches of a neighboring tree and I imagined her whispering, "grow, grow, grow" to these little beauties. After covering them with a thin layer of Miracle Grow's Moisture Control potting mix, re-watering them, the domes were lovingly replaced.

I also worked to prepare a few other pots and containers for planting the Peonies and Astilbe. It may be too early to plant them into the ground but within the containers, I can assure the soil will maintain the 50 degree or higher soil temperature. Doing so will also assist with allowing them to grow a stronger root system before the final planting within our backyard.

No comments: