Monday, March 26, 2007

Wonderful Weekend...

Yesterday, Don and I had JoAnne and Steve's wedding to attend at The Gathering Place. The service was beautiful althought Steve seemed so very nervous. Not to mention so wasn't I --- I really am not much for "formal" events, the dressing up, the not knowing what to say, --- I really don't know these people too well to begin with so it is hard to really begin a conversation to even get to know them more and its always in such a large group with lots of activities going on at once. I also think I feel a little out of place because these people where good friends of Don's when he was married to his ex-wife, Karen, and we're 12 years apart. They get to talking about people they went to school with, things they've done, and places I've never known. Anyways, it was so good to see and visit with Jim and Rosella and other family members. It is so funny how two childhood friends, Don and Jim, often teased each other about being related to many, many years later actually becoming related, even if it was Don's uncle married Jim's mother. Aunt Alice, as we call her, has always been so very good to me, going out of her way to ensure I felt welcome within their large family. I even got to spend a few minutes talking with Aunt June; she is such a sweetheart and thinks the world of me! I used to teach a Bible study group that she attended and we became the closest of friends. It has been almost ten years since we've seen or spoken to one another, and strangely, neither of recognized one another, LOL! We made plans and promises to get-together soon, wished the happily married couple the best,and went on our way.

Deciding it was a beautiful day, 70 degrees and sunshine here in Ohio, we drove to Columbus to have a nice dinner at Carrabba's. After eating, we went out the Carry Out door and upon reaching the Jeep, here came Kevin the owner and manager to Thank us for Coming! Don and Kevin had met on one of our visits and now they seem like old friends. I thought that was very nice of him to do, to track us down to say, "Thank you." Although, eating at his restaurant is never a hardship, actually it's one of my favorite places to go and things to do.

Upon leaving the restaurant, we decided to take the back roads home, driving into Westerville, reaching Rt. 3 North when I spied a sign for a Farm Market. Thinking Spring's arriving, maybe they've have some flowers, herbs, and plants we followed the signs. The road we travelled was a bit hilly and curvy with beautiful large homes scattered about the hilltops, and as we drove we looked about, when suddenly, I shouted to Don to "slow down". A group of deer were making their way along a creek bed and a huge buck stood in the middle of the road while a doe and her yearlings followed, yet waiting in the clearing along side the road. As we stopped to wait while they crossed, I was amazed at their sheer size and beauty. It made our ride home a pleasant experience. We did discover the Farm Market, although it had appearred to have long been out of business or perhaps it is just an autumn thing. Anyways, shortly afterwards we came upon St. Rt. 36/37 between Johnstown and Delaware and made our way to Oakland Nursery where we decided to stop and stretch just a bit before they closed for the evening. We didn't have much time to browse, which was alright, as I know better than to prepare for planting just yet --- It's Ohio and we're still prone to receive some freezing temps. Let's just say, I've been there and done that, LOL! But that doesn't stop my heart from longing for Spring to reach full bloom. Things are beginning to bud, to sprout, and turn green although it will be a week or two yet before its will be truly green and beautiful. In the meantime, I'm longing to begin a walking routine, work more on my sewing and stitching, card creating and art.

No comments: