Thursday, April 05, 2007

Wednesday Wanderings...

Yesterday was a great, yet bittersweet day. It started out by visiting my chiropractor after I called on Tuesday to see if it was possible to get in a day earlier than my scheduled appointment, as my back and neck are really acting up. Perhaps, I should have waited longer before powerwashing the rear deck? But, Oh No, Not Me! Can't let any grass grow under my feet --- and now I'm paying for it dearly. You'd think by now I'd learn to realize that I need to slow down --- just a bit--- and that I'm not a young twenty-something anymore. Not that I'm ready for spending my days in rocker, sewing, and stitching either but I should be more kinder and gentler on myself and my body. To add further insult to my injuries, the rear deck is now covered with a dusting a snow... at least, I won't be doing anything to it or out in the yard anytime soon or in the near future! LOL! That should teach me to rush into Spring head first. But my flowers are blooming! The potted plants have been moved inside to the rear part of our kitchen and the recently planted hyzcinths are blooming and their fragrance is heavenly! I seen a touch of green beginning to emerge from the seedling trays! Anyways, back to my day...

After leaving the chiropractor's office, Don and I had a nice breakfast at Perkins. Thankfully, he's so understanding of the pain I place myself in and accommodates me so willingly. I think the fact that he's getting feed has something to do with it. From there, we ventured into Goodwill so I could search for more treasures. The first section I hit was was the book aisle --- sitting on the floor, I browsed through a milk crate filled with "loverlies", pulling anything and everything that appeared interesting out and gathered it into a pile for further sorting. I quickly realized that although most of these are marked 50 cents apiece, I certainly didn't need to drag home a 6" stack of them, so I resorted them after browsing through them one more time. Raising to my feet and armed with a large enough stack to bring a man to his knees, I ventured into the knick-knack, what-knot section of the store where there was a lady digging through boxes and shelves in the area I was heading. Not wanting to crowd her or rush her along --- okay, maybe just a little bit, I pretended to be looking at a variety of other things in the aisle. I was fortunate when an employee came through the same aisle with an bagged stack of just what I ventured into to search for --- cross stitch and needlework kits! I couldn't believe my luck! Of course, I instantly struck up a conversation with him inquirying about what he had in his hands and explaining that was what I was searching for. He gratefully handed them over to me, and afterwards, I understood why. Now armed with a 3" stack of magazines, books, cross-stitch pamplets, and this large baggie, not to mention my purse that needs a good cleaning out, my back instantly told me it was time to stop! Thankfully, it is easy to find Don in the store, as he always strikes up conversations with anyone who will listen, and a few friends he's known for years, we made our way to the check out. I was so stoked with my finds that if it wasn't for my back ache they'd probably have had to pull me off the ceiling! Little did I know that later in the day my thoughts would change.

Upon leaving, we ventured over to The Salvation Thrift Store. I couldn't tell you how long it has been since I was last in there. After chatting with a friend, we wandered aimlessly around, looking at whatever. I remember thinking it was as if I'd stepped back twenty years in time as I looked at some clothes hanging on the racks, items on the shelves, and some of the furniture --- some were possibly antiques? Okay, maybe it just seemed that way to me, but it was all in fun. I was so shocked when I stumbled upon a cross-stitch kit with the classic book theme of "Guess How Much I Love You" I couldn't believe my eyes!!! This is Alexxis' and my favorite bedtime routine. I read that book to her every time I have her overnight, after we've had our baths and we're in all cozy in our jammies, of course. While I read, I kiss and love on her while she plays with the plush Mama Nutmeg hare, smiling and laughing at me. {I'm searching to find the baby hare, maybe one day I'll get lucky with that one, too.} Anyways, I quickly scooped that up. I just had to have it! As I continued looking at various bags of craft supplies and after the shock of seeing some of the stickered price tags on this gently used stuff, reality hit me and I was forced to ask myself if I really wanted or needed to drag some more items home. Quickly, deciding the answer was, "No!" {said, of course, as I reaching for a bag of cheesecloth!} I decide its time to get out of here. So, Don and I meander up to the counter to wait in line. And what a line, it was! There were people everywhere and only two cashiers, so I begin to wonder what the deal was. It wasn't long before I knew. On Wednesday's, a lot of items are 50%! What a bargain! I got the cross-stich kit and cheesecloth for $1.31!!!!

No comments: