Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The first "deco" in the Deco RR....

Mary's deco arrived today! Somehow, Mary mailed it to another member of the group, who forwarded it on to me. {Thank you, Carolyn} Mary's theme for her deco is the Art of Healing. Mary requested that each of us provide something related to the theme for her sister who will soon be undergoing chemotherapy. Isn't it wonderful that Mary will be giving her first ever deco to her sister!

Anyways, for some reason, this subject hit a little too close to home today so I careful placed it back in the envelope and in a safe place while I set out to make dinner. I was feeling creatively blocked, wondering what in the world am I going to be able to add to this deco, with this theme, that would provide encouragement? I know little about Mary's sister, Alice {except what Mary shared in the introduction to her deco's theme}, but unfortunately, I know about cancer, undergoing chemotherapy, and the roller coaster of emotions, bouts of good days and bad ones so I began to focus my attention there. As the evening wore on, I couldn't get the thought of creating within this deco out of my mind. Somehow, it seemed to tear at my heart. I thought maybe if I pull it out and read what Mary shared once again something would come to me. No such inspiration came. In fact, I even considered putting it in a new envelop and passing it on without creating in it; thinking if I couldn't come up with something inspirational, I'd rather not create within it at all and maybe one of the other participants could add a bit more to it. Feeling like I'd be cheating Mary, I decided to give it time to settle into my mind and I prayed about it, about Alice, about my thoughts and feelings. Afterwards, I pulled the deco back out again... Mary has done a wonderful job in creating it. It is a tri-fold booklet style so that outside top section forms the cover of the book. Mary's intro is on the upper inside with a sign-in section in the center. Between the second and third section, Mary added vellum pages tied into the cover with beautiful, soft pink fibers and ribbon. Just looking at those vellum sheets reminded me once again at just how fragile life truly is; yet there's strength within them. Suddenly, I knew I had to reach down deep within me to find the strength to create within this deco, just as Alice will be finding strength within herself during the chemotherapy. As I continued holding the deco, re-reading Mary's words, ideas began to flow... Alice loves gardening! both floral and vegetables, being in nature... finding strength, peace within, the pleasure it brings to our lives, how food nourishes our bodies and my thoughts returned to my prayers and how he was nourishing my soul. So that's how I came to create within Mary's deco.

My pages follow a theme of "a healing garden" My sign is states, "Sacred places begin in the heart" along with my name. I tore a watercolored garden theme napkin into the shape of the heart, added a prima flower and attached those with a small floral brad. My pages cover the front of one page and the backside of it and since the deco is a small hand bound book, I took advantage of the front by creating a card style page to add to it so I include what was running through my mind's eye. The front features a beautiful printed paper, with a series of three birdhouses surrounded by pretty, pink flowers and two vintage style robins. I added another couple of layered prima flowers and a soft, pink organza ribbon and tucked in a piece of cardstock which reads, "healing whispers". Inside this card style page is a Thomas A. Kempis verse, "All God's glory and beauty comes from within and there He delights to dwell. His visits are frequent; His conversations sweet; His comfort refreshing; and His peace surpasses all understanding." The reverse side features a note written from me to Alice. "May your garden become a healing garden... a sacred sanctuary, restoring peace, and allowing you to connect and claim the power within." {I added the text here because they are not readable in my photographs} Mary and Alice, I hope you enjoy my page contribution, it comes from the heart. May God bless and keep both of you near to his heart and "Thank you" for touching mine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy,

I am sorry I stirred up difficult emotions. I didn't know what you had been through. Please know that I wouldn't for the world have sent it on knowing it would be painful. Please forgive me for not having the forsight to know the persons who were going to help me might be facing the very same difficulties as my sister. (She had her first treatment last Wednesday).

I hope that you are doing well, and want you to know that you, too, are in my prayers. I would have understood if you had sent it on without adding, but I am so glad you chose to send some of your wisdom and creativity. I think art IS healing. It has always been my refuge. And what a beautiful prayer!

So, thank you tremendously for working on this for us. You definitely nailed it! Personally, I think your work is always lovely.

Please accept my love and gratitude.

Mary

Dymphie said...

Cathy your pages are wonderful, so much thought into your work.

Cathy said...

Mary, I left a comment on the post with the deco pictures and will email you. Thank you for your comments on my artwork and I agree, Art is Healing. It has gotten me through a few rough times in my life.

Dymphie, Thank you for your wonderful compliment. Coming from someone equally as talented, I appreciate that! {smiles}