Wednesday, March 02, 2005

One of my goals.....

in creating handmade books and bindings is to learn how to coptic bind a book. So, today, I decided that if I want to make that goal a reality, I should practice at sewing bookbindings first. Well, at least those a little more complicated than a pamphlet stitch. Looking through some of my bookbinding books, I decided to create this simple chain stitched book today. I covered the covers of the bookboard with papers I purchased a long time from a ClubScrap supplier. I used a heavier text weight paper and cut the pages down to 5" x 8.5" and folded each in half. There are a total of 14 signatures each containing 4 pages. I did measure a little more waxed linen thread than the book suggested, seeing how this is my first creation of this style of book, and I've learned from experience that it is best to allow a little room for error.

I'm not quite sure what I will do to decorate this book, although I do know I am excited to practice and create yet another one! You can see the Chain Stitch Binding and Book Cover below...... remember, this is my first one.... like everything I'm sure I'll get better at with age. :)

No comments: