Saturday, October 01, 2005

Going back to work and other artful life news......

This upcoming Monday I will be starting the beginning of a new work week as I'll be going back to work in Delaware this week. The job assignment may only last a few weeks, however, I am gradually becoming more and more okay with that. I'll work only when work is available for us; so often it is work a week or two and no work for awhile. However, there is good news as it allows me to work a bit, continuing with income coming in and also allows me to be at home a bit, getting what I need to do done. I don't get to choose the days and times, however, I'm learning to welcome them. The good news is I know I'll have my weekend's free! It is quite a commute for me, and an 8 hr. shift ends up close to 9 1/2 - 10 hrs. days, the work itself is moderately tough, but not so difficult that I'm worn to a frazzle and unable to enjoy my evenings. The person I vented about being lazy is no longer working there as he was fired for his lack of effort. Shelley will be going back; one of the reasons I decided to take the assignment --- other than the $$$. She is a good person, a hard worker, and a delight to be around.

I spent the majority of my day cleaning house, running errands, and organizing yesterday. I finally managed to clean out my back kitchen cabinets to make room for some of our not so often used kitchen appliances, although my crockpot will certainly come in handy!

I believe I'm going to tackle the bottom of the hutch today. We recently moved into our living area and I fully intend to up a small bookbinding area here in the house. I will still be doing most of my page decorating and design work within the studio but this will allow me to do some bindings as time allows.

I also made it to my eye doctor's appt. earlier in the week. It seemed I needed to cancel it for one reason or another, so that is now behind me. My new "bi-focals" {yes, I'm aging!} and contacts will be in approximately 7-10 days. I could have certainly saved myself some $$$ by simply purchasing them in the beginning, however, I didn't seem to believe then that it would be that big of a deal for me as the Dr. stated I was borderline for needing them. I discovered I'm squinting and having a few eye strain related headaches while trying to read my favorite Stamp magazines and I haven't really put too much effort into reading Keith Smith's book that I recently purchased due to it so that is another obstacle out of the way. So now, I can get on with learning more and practicing a few new techniques! {Yippee!}

I haven't received any Art journals recently so I am looking forward to that. It doesn't appear we'll meet the pre-established deadline we set but I am certainly okay with that. I'm certain it will improve the quality of the artwork each of creates and will eventually receive back. You can find some of the artists who participated in both groups artwork in the recent issue of Byhand, located at: http://www.quietfiredesign.com/byhandseptember2005.htm

I did sign up for a Monthly Calendar Tag swap with another group of online friends. There is a great line up of participants, each with the same passions of mixed media, collage, rubberstamped artwork and a touch of their own unique, individual styles. It is fun and interesting to watch as the artwork of each of them grows, changes, and evolves. The deadline {set for Nov. 1st} and the small number of participants certainly played a huge role in my ability to participate which made it nice to be able to join in. I worked on them a little bit a few days ago. Managed to get all 12 of the tags cut with one extra for me to determine the exact design idea for the tags to be swapped. My choosen month was January so I did a lot a lot of brainstorming on the idea only to turn around and be completely inspired in a totally new direction! LOL! That seems to happen a lot with my artwork, however, this new idea and design is something I am happy about and hopeful each participant will enjoy. Going through this creative process enabled me to use one of my new Tim Holtz stamped images in a fun way and I believe has assisted in changing my perspective in a lot of areas in my life. I'll post my creation for this once the swap has been exchanged so I won't spoil the surprise!

No comments: