Thursday, September 29, 2005

Where to start on catching up?

We had a very sad day recently, one of those that quickly remind you of just how truly precious and fleeting life really is. A trip to the vetrinarian's office on Tuesday confirmed our worst fear: that Lady's cancer had continued to spread and was in fact into her lymphatic system. Don was hit very hard as he made the decision to have her put down. She's been with him for so many years. We talked about her yesterday, the joy she brought into each of our lives, and how we felt it was the best we could do for her without her enduring a lot of pain and suffering as well as the heartache each of us experienced along with her. I know I for one am looking forward to the next several weeks. It will be a great time for Don and I to re-connect, to find some solitude in the presence of one another; to be grateful for the joy and comfort and all that we've been so very blessed with; and to establish our family bond with Chaos, which somehow seems a little more important now.
We all are truly loving this early Autumn! The crisp, cool air; the slight chill in the air that reminds you that the days will soon be shorter, and how important it actually is to squeeze in those lasting bits of warm sunshine, not only within nature, but within our hearts and souls. All the hustle and bustle of summer days and long nights will soon be coming to an end as our lives quietly begin to slow down.

I am rediscovering just how cozy it is to wrap yourself up in a blanket and simply to be at the computer while enjoying a leisurely cup of coffee; not only to simply to wake me up but to shake off the cooler, damp air as it has been raining overnight. Thankfully, Chaos decided he'd much rather be right back inside where it is dry and warm and didn't take me on a lovely romp through the yard. {smiles} This morning reminds me of the joy of being able to be at home, something that outside employment can quickly and quietly strip away from you. My job duties themselves weren't so bad, however, those 12 hours days definately can take a toll on your mind, body, and spirit.

Yesterday, Don and I took a wonderful drive yesterday up north on St. Rt. 4 over to 2 East to Amherst, OH where we visited Stamplistic! It is a fabulous stamp store with a variety of paper art supplies. Beverly and Kathy were a joy to meet and the drive itself was fantastic! I purchased a few more wood mounted collage style stamps that I cannot wait to play around with although it will be a challenge determing where to store them as my stamp cabinet overfloweth..... but such is life! I added two new Tim Holtz stamps to my collection; a four cubed collage faces stamp from PostModern Design, and a Judikins drawer pull. Seeing more of my purchases from Tim Holtz in the Alcohol Ink Applicator and Felt Pads, Bev so kindly demonstrated the new Tim Holtz Embossing Powders for me. I must say that they would be fabulous in collage work! I didn't purchase any of the new EP's, although I did satisfy my quest for "a great white EP". It is manufactured by Judi-kins, which Bev recommended, and I'm looking forward with excitement for an opportunity to try it out.

One of my objectives for the day was to purchase a Christmas/Winter/Holiday image for use in the US Art Quest request for the victim's of Hurricane Katrina. I did manage to purchase one but decided a Holiday sentiment would be more appropriate as I could mix it with some of the images I currently own. It is from Paper Inspirations, says"Holidays" horizontally and vertically is quote, "May your holidays be bright with promise and warm with good cheer." Something I am certain the survivors of Katrina can relate to as they strive to rebuild their own lives.

After visiting Stamplistic, we stopped at Sky Blue {per Kathy's suggestion re: a good restaurant}and had an enjoyable Amish cooked dinner. I can say you won't leave there hungry and the food was delicious! In fact, we were so full, neither of could even look at the desserts.

The return drive home South on St. Rt. 58 through Ashland provided us with quite a relaxing ride. Little to minimal traffic, a few detours abit nothing too drastic, and some scenic Ohio countryside through an Amish county. The farmers are diligently working to get grain out of the fields while the golden browns of Autumn begin to creep in, bales of hay along the edges of the fields, and the occassional passing of an Amish family in their buggies reminded both of us to slow things down as life often comes at you way too fast.

No comments: