Monday, November 14, 2005

Slowing down & Enjoying Life.......

This past week has flown by in yet another never-ending whirlwind of activity. Rising early.... as in really early, like 4:30 a.m. {and no, the sun isn't up yet; if I'm lucky, I may get to see a few of the early morning rays as they appear in the eastern sky right before clocking into work at 7 a.m.} to returning home to watch the sun gently settling into the western sky slightly before the darkness ascends into the moonlight.

My job has been keeping me busy, although the hustle and bustle of its hectic pace provided me a few days of pure pleasure this past weekend! You see, my co-workers do such a great job, that first the glue line ran out of boxes to glue; therefore, freeing them up to join us in the re-packaging of all those Budweiser bottles some of us enjoy on occasion. Having those few extra hands, compounded with the excitement of the opportunity to do something different for a change of pace, we ran completely out of boxes to repack into. This provided all of us with a 38 hr. work week and the opportunity to enjoy a bit of Friday's sunshine and look forward to a wonderful weekend.

While at work on Friday, only in bodily form, my restless spirit and wandering mind truly got to missing some time for me. Knowing that Don wouldn't be working this weekend either, I believe I surprised the be-jesus out of him when I arrived home at 2 p.m. on Friday afternoon. Our conversation went something close to this....

Me: "Honey, I'm home!"
Don: "What are doing home so early?"
Me: "We ran out of boxes to repack into. And I was thinking.... {at this point, Don lovingly rolls his eyes} what do you think about visiting the Smokey Mountains?"
Don: "When?"
Me: {hesitantly hopeful} "Hmmm, how about 5 o'clock? If we packed up now we could be on the road by 5 - 5:30 p.m."
Don: "Let's do it!"

I quickly got online to check motel/hotel availability in the Pigeon Forge/Gaitlinburg, TN area, only to be just as quickly reminded re: a Gift Show Convention in Gaitlinburg. Ok, onto PLAN B!
An even quicker telephone call to my brother John in Charlotte, NC to inquire regarding his activities/plans for the weekend to which he replied he'd be working building a fence this weekend but we were more than welcome to "Come On Down!" which just as quickly churned my thoughts into how I could still yet manage to make it to the Smokey Mountains. We'd simply visit with my brother for a few days and nights and on the return trip home we'd travel back through them!

Rushing around frantically, making mental notes of all we'd need to pack, things that needed our immediate attention, and figuring out what in the world to do with Chaos....... somehow we managed to work it all out in time to be on the road at 5:30 p.m.! {Damn, I'm good! wink.}

Our adventure began by dropping Chaos off at the Vet's office for boarding until Monday; filling up the gas tank, picking up my left behind cell phone from Michelle's; and grabbing a road atlas from my Mon's and Dad's.... and we were on our way!

Down State Route 23S to I-270 E towards Wheeling, WV to connect to I-77 Southbound. Driving through the mountains in West Virginia in the dark wasn't the greatest part of the trip, however, the excitement and adrenaline rush was just what my wanderlust soul desired and provided just the right amount of curiosity of what awaited around the next bend along the highway.

First West Virginia, Virginia, then North Carolina....... we arrived at my brother's at 2:35 a.m. on Saturday morning! I cannot even begin to explain just how laying my eyes upon his for the first time in over ten years felt... anxious exhilaration, I guess is the best way to describe it; as my heart was filled with love that only comes from one's sense of family can bring. We chatted for a bit, inquiring about how various family member's were and what they were doing, often both of us asking and talking at once, LOL! About an hour later and some of the excitement wore off, we headed off to bed, looking forward to the adventures of the next day and some time to re-connect. Besides, that John had a fence to build! and promised to take us out for dinner upon his return home.

Rising a little later on Saturday morning, yes, 9:30 is later to me!; I enjoyed several cups of coffee as Don and I finally decided upon driving into uptown Charlotte, we made preparations for the start of our day. What we didn't realize was the truck seemed to have a mind all it's own and was starting without us! Can you imagine our surprise, as I'm making the last few touches on my personal appearance when I hear Don exclaim, "My truck is rolling downhill!" I'm was like "What?" Don repeats himself, "My truck is rolling downhill!" There is a steep decline which begins shortly before you reach John's house which descends approximately 8-10 feet in a span of a few shorter feet, and low and behold, our truck is rolling down the hill! Luckily, for us and John's neighbor's no one is parked on the street or any children playing in the approximate vicinity, `Ole Red is slipping a little out of gear at a slow idling pace. I ran out the door and Don threw me the keys to unlock the doors so I can hit the brake petal and in a hurry! The day's adventures had begun.....

No comments: