Thursday, January 12, 2006

From Zero to 32.....

I began this week with "0" hours for week for a work schedule and finishing up my previously week with Orientation on last Saturday during the day. Believing I'd a week to get some things done and caught up around our home, my hopes quickly dimished. No sooner had I seemed to arrive at home, I received a phone call from my Dept. Head asking if I could possibly come in from midnight Saturday to 8 a.m. on Sunday. Figuring "a paycheck" vs. "no paycheck" was best, I quickly said, "yes!"


Arriving at work on Saturday, Brian {a co-worker} quickly offered me his Tuesday night to Wednesday shift to allow him some time to work on more remodeling of his new home so I picked up an addition 8 hours there; Bob called me early Sunday evening asking if I'd work Sun. to Monday morning as a co-worker was in the ER and on my Tuesday-Wednesday shift, I was asked upon arrival if I'd work tonight! Well, today is Thursday, and after I work tonight which will put me at 32 hours this week alone. And the week isn't over yet.........


As if working 3rd shift itself isn't confusing enough, try being on call for it, LOL! I swear it changes the entire way you look at the calendar, plan your life, and having a night off inbetween a few of those shifts is just enough to throw you completely off any sense of establishing a schedule. My body says I'm daytime/morning person, my schedule says "3rd shift" and my nights and days are as equally mixed up. I don't ever remember being this disoriented when I worked third shift back in 1992. Somehow, someway, I'm hopeful I'll manage to get myself and this all figured out. So, if my schedule seems crazy to you, trust me it is!


For my family and friends who desire to telephone me, I am normally home in the mornings from 8:30 a.m. I try to lay down for some sleep anywhere between 9-10 a.m., but it is usually 10:30 before I actually do, and then awaken before 2-3 p.m. I spend at least a half-hour, drinking coffee, trying to re-group and re-oriente myself before working on housework and getting dinner between 5:30 - 6:30 p.m. Those late afternoon hours, into the early evenings are the best time to telephone me. I promise, I'll TRY not to be too upset if awaken, as long as it is between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. Some nights, I try to lay back down for a few hours rest before work, normally between 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. From 10 p.m. to 11:30 p.m., I'm normally finishing up any housework that needs finishing and getting ready for work. So there you have it......... welcome to my CRAZY world!!!!


Hopefully, I can establish some sense of normalacy somehow in my life........ at least until I have another day off, LOL! A funny thing is that I've been desiring to watch a movie and do you think I can stay awake until 8 or 9 p.m. let alone long enough to watch one? What a life...............

No comments: