Monday, February 20, 2006

Before returning home from our outing adventure, Don and I stopped at Scrapbook Art and Barnes and Nobles on Polaris Parkway. I'm shocked I ventured into a scrapbook store, browsed a little, and actually left without purchasing a thing! In a recent newsletter from Scrapbook Art there was a blurb about new arrivals from the recent CHA show, thinking I'd venture in to see what "must have" products are available, I didn't discover a whole lot. Maybe it was simply me, my heart really not being in the right place at the right time or the fact that I have so much already in the way of supplies and tools that it really takes something with a great "WoW! factor" for me to reach into my purse, LOL! There was also an employee, I'd never met before, so the familiarity of friendly faces was lacking a bit as well.

A store employee had called recently regarding a book I was interested in, so I inquired regarding it, only to discover there seemed to be a mix up in our communication as the book wasn't what I was looking for. Anyways, I browsed through it quickly, decided it wasn't for me, and explained to the "new-to-me" clerk that it wasn't what I expected it to be so they could offer to the next person on their list or return it to their store stock.

Another factor, I'm certain, is my focus on the art I create is changing. I've been more into the mindset of using what I already have to experiment and explore more. I truly believe that I want to venture into exploring into some of the books within my art library, exploring new ideas and following my heart and the art that I know is buried somewhere within me. I'd love to start tapping in to it!

Upon leaving SB Art, I asked Don if we could stop at Barnes and Nobles just down the road a little ways. Obligingly, he consented. I love Barnes & Nobles! There just something about the relaxed atmosphere that I enjoy..... maybe it is the fact that I can pull any number of books that catch my eye out of the shelves and sit cross legged on the floor and browse through them. Anyways, that is exactly what I did, LOL! I pulled out some books and browsed through them, some that are on my wish list to purchase. What I discovered is that so much information and techniques are beginning to overlap what I already have in my art library, so I didn't purchase any.......... probably contributed to the above mindset I previously mentioned. I did pick up a Dover Publication with a CD, "660 Typographic Ornaments" which I loved the images and ornamentation and felt would enhance my artistic explorations.

So, I ventured over to the magazines, picked up Somerset Studio Gallery IV. I love any Somerset Book, so purchasing it without browsing through it, was one way I trusted my instincts. I'm certain I'll love it and find something within its pages to inspire me.

I was a little disappointed in not finding an books on bookbinding that I don't already have in my collection. I was looking for something new, something to inspire me more in that area of my art. Maybe, this too just re-inforced my use what you have philosophy........ as I know I've barely scratched the surface here.... anyways, there is something in creating handmade books that truly calls to my spirit. I don't know if it is in the creative process of creating them or the possibilities of adding in whatever content I desire that excites me more, but whatever it is, I'm thankful I have a passion for it!

No comments: