Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Studio is almost done!

Yesterday after getting bathed and dressed, I worked on cleaning up our bedroom. We'd dragged so many things into our room while removing items to set up the laundry/nursery room that it was in a state of major clutter.

So, while waiting for Amber who had a few errands to run prior to picking up Shelly, I organized and cleaned in there. I still have a few odds and ends to finish up, clearing off the dresser tops of some of the everyday debries Don & I are both guilty of depositing there, some dusting to do, and some organizing in our closet to make room for the bedding we removed from one room to the other.

All in all, I'm happy with the progress I'm making; our home is almost cleaned thoroughly; well, at least the most time-consuming things that need attention. From here on out, it will be easier to keep up with, simply picking up, dusting and vacauming. Don and I normally good about picking up as we go as long as we've time to do so. It's when we get so busy with the comings and goings that our home gets kind of neglected. I suppose this is the same with everyone, but I feel that since we're aware of what causes the disarray, we can work more together to control it somewhat.

I worked until about 3 p.m., doing a bit here and there throughout the house, before deciding to make some Sloppy Joe sandwiches to have on hand in the event that we got a bit hungry while working on the studio. Amber and Shelly arrived a little after 3 - 3:15-ish, we talked for a bit before Amber left to return home. Shelly and I work great together. Having worked at a job for several months together we were familiar with one another ways, each anticipating what needs done and assisting one another in accomplishing the task at hand. So, working to clean up the studio, get it set up for the baby shower on Saturday wasn't any problem for us. We got caught up with what's been happening in each others lives since November, joked around and laughed, and drank a couple glasses of wine while listening to some good music. Before we knew it, we had all the boxes out of the way, the studio dusted, tables moved, floors swept and mopped so we decided to go get all the decorations and decorate!

We hung a crepe paper Teddy Bear banner over my journaling table, used my MM Chalkboard to write "Gifts for the PRECIOUS Babe", hung a couple Teddy Bear themed hangables that came in the baby shower decoration kit using some curling ribbon and a couple of push pins to attach them to the ceiling to hang over the front corners of the gift table, yet out of the way. The tabletop is adorned with a blue tablecloth, my gifts to Amber which Shelly wrapped and decorated beautifully; a vase of English roses taken from the house, and a stuffed Teddy Bear to sit gracefully beside it, and Viola! It turned out beautifully! It is so ironic that the decorative kit had Teddy Bears in it as Chris's Mom, Nancy collects them! So, they were perfect in every way.

We trimmed a section of the blue tablecloth off and folded it over to fit on the bookbinding table for beverages to be sat upon and be at hand. A cooler with ice can sit in front of it without being in the way. On the opposite end we placed my galvinized floral watering can filled with pastel wildflowers and daisies, 4 columns of white styrofoam cups, and another standup decoration from the kit of a stork with a baby.

We moved two tables from their vertical position to a horizontal position to make the third table. A large gift plastic pattern drawstring gift bag {24" x 36"} was used in the center of the tables as a smaller table runner. I had originally picked it up to use to put in my Carter's Baby Blanket but once I realized the size, I quickly discovered it to be too big. Using it as a table runner was the perfect solution, a few double sided sticky tabs for photos holds it in place. On top of it is a tissue paper baby shower umbrella from the kit, two green daisy buckets filled with pink Easter basket filling to hold the pencils needed for the baby shower games, and we used 6 vanilla candles left over from the party favors to form a design around the above items.

Using a sheet of foam core board, I created a patchwork style background mixing cardstock from all the pastel colors we used: purple, pink, blue, yellow, and green! I added the Baby Shower Congratulations banner from the kit, then, hand wrote, "In honor of Amber Blair-Sauders (the mommy-to-be) & Baby Saunders fathered by Christapher Allen Saunders" I place that on my picture frame easel and decorated the top scrollwork of the easel with more pastel curling ribbon. In the event that it doesn't rain on Saturday, balloons can be added and we can use this out front of the house......... if it does rain, we'll keep it in the studio.

While shopping for the party favors, I was able to pick up several packages of blank cards complete with envelopes, some baby stickers in a matching theme, and a small blank journal to be used as Amber's Guest book. Shelly and I opened all the card packages, and removed the envelopes so that each guest can address their own "Thank You" envelope. This will save Amber, the mommy-to-be, quite a bit of time after the shower is over. We used a package of stickers to decorate the front of the guest book, I'll have to scan it and upload it so I can share it. It turned out beautiful! A glitter elephant graces the front cover - perfect as Chris collects elephants! I cannot get over how much we were able to personal this baby shower unknowingly with the decorations that relate so much to our families! Amber's main theme is the baby, of course, my love of flowers is displayed in the theme and decorations, Nancy's love of teddy bears, and Daddy Chris's love of elephants........ I know it sounds sort of quirky - but once I get pictures, have them developed, and uploaded --- you'll see what I mean! It's absolutely gorgeous!

I am still floored that Shelly & I managed to accomplish so much! I won't have anything else to do other than add in the other 6 chairs Don will return from the store; have my card table chairs on hand, Nancy has a set of 4 as well, and all that is left is the food and drinks and setting them in place.

Amber & Nancy came by around 8:30 p.m. I think Amber was a little disappointed that we wouldn't allow her to come into the studio, LOL! Shelly & I decided she should be surprised and not allow to see it until all her guests have arrived and we move out to the studio to begin on Saturday. I know the suspense will absolutely drive her nuts.... If I can hold out on showing her, ROFLOL! I'm not good at surprises....... I want to tell, to share, to have another share in my excitement, LOL! Ahhh, life is great!!!!!

No comments: