Friday, April 21, 2006

Preparing to decorate our rear deck...

In just I bit I'll be outside powerwashing the vinyl siding on the house that is attached to our raised rear deck. Lately, decorating this space has been on my mind. I did a bit of research before I decided what theme, colors, and accents I desire and although I know it won't all be coming together at once, I need to simply dig in and begin .... somewhere.

First, I considered the nature Fung Shu of our acre of land. I discovered certain things that increase the flow of energy within ones space and am fortunate that a lot of what has already been planted allows the flow of energy. Here is a bit of what I discovered:

I can plant flowers of any color anywhere, but if I want to activate a certain area of our lives I should plant flowers of the correct color in the correct location of the garden. Who knew trees should be planted in the east and southeast for strength and protection? Fortunately for us, most of the trees in our back yard are on here with the exception of some that grace the rear {north side} fence and the west side of our property. I wouldn't change them if I could. There is always a shady spot to be found at any time of the day!

Streams are highly beneficial and symbolize wealth, while ponds symbolize success. Now, I've neither a stream nor a pond but I do have a small water garden which has a both a waterfall and a fountain feature. This one terrific waterfall adds fresh water for the birds a place to bathe, and the sound of the waterfall adds an “antique” appeal to your grassy yard. Surrounding the waterfall and water garden is already previously planted hostas and woodland ferns that grace us every year with their beauty. I've noticed a frog or two once in a while, so maybe a half buried clay pot will provide him a home.

The main pathway to the garden should be on the western side and should be meandering with few straight lines. Currently, we have "no actual pathways" just foot-trails that we walk to get into the back yard. I guess I'm lucky we've two sets of stair coming down off the deck and one of them is on the west side, the other leading out to the east. The west side is the route I take to my studio and to the middle west side of the yard where my hammock used to be. My hammock has long since deteriorated but the 4x4 posts remain. I believe I desire to create a small garden in this area and add in a chair and a small table for a meditative little place to create a pathway to.

The southern part of your plot is related to your fame, standing in the community and personal powers. The colors are red and orange. This is perfect for me, as once I come out the back door to meander onto the rear deck, our most often used door is that off the kitchen which remember I desire to paint red! Using those colors will bring the outdoors in, and the indoors out as we entertain.

The southeast is concerned with money and wealth. The colors are red, green, blue and purple. Red, oranges, a touch of yellow-greens and some soft whites, I can handle! The jacuzzi is in this area of our rear deck and is an awesome turquiose blue with a touch of the cedar showing. It is recessed in the deck so you actually step down into it.

The west is concerned with pets, children and creativity. The colors are white and silver. Hmm, interesting. My hook up for Chaos is on this side of the deck, and my studio is on the west side.

I started creating a book last night, to keep track of all these things. Although, I only got the pages cut, scored, and marked for binding.... it is a start. I'm thinking I'd like to get it bound and when making the covers either laminate or use clear contact paper, enclose it in a ziplock freezer bag and leave it outside on a table for our guests to browse through. Of course, I'll need to use waterproof inks, but I think it would be fun to add some quotes to, pictures of our progress, and fabric samples as we add to the existing decor. As for a theme, I'm really leaning towards a Tuscan Country........ wrought iron, reds, oranges, and some shades of whites with a hint of green. Our yard is huge some this will contrast beautifully with the green expanse of the yard.

I also needed to take into consideration the size or our rear yard and its shape, natural changes in elevation, dips and hills. Also, drainage patterns, I don't want to plant perrineals that won't work with that or our soil. Our climate and zoning is also a major factore. Knowing where utilities lines such as gas and electric is also important, as well as significant existing features as shrubs, bushes, and trees. I've watched our traffic patterns and seen the views from and into your yard and the amount of light in each area. This will be very important knowledge when it comes to choosing what to plant and where!

Color is certainly one aspect of the great outdoors that lends itself to limitless ideas and possibilities. I decided to pick one of the most intense colors of red, some pinks, and bring into play the lighter less prominent hues like a yellow-green {thinking leaves} and some whites. I want some visual punch and appeal spread throughout the yard as well as the deck, something that says, "Come and explore." Creating that pathway to the area where the hammock used to be will certainly provide that and a nostalgic feeling. I want to use a beautiful hand-made quilts or throw pillows with bright, lively colors that match or even contrast my flower colors and reflect our indoor space.

I believe texture will also be fun to play with. Smooth surfaces should be highlighted with baskets, trays, placemats and rough textures like those in the woven pattern of our patio furniture soften by fabrics with a pillow thrown here and there. I thought some glass-top patio tables would be cool and lends itself to a basket of fruit or flowers. Christing gave me a couple last year that would be perfect for a pair of stacked patio planters filled with sand, rocks, and yes, even a candle to provide that soft glow as evening comes to an end.

Potted plants that be used as accessories as well as ornaments and metal colors such as bronze and coppered patinas like the candlabra by the hot tub. These should suggest as rear deck is our special hideaway while we wile away the hours being captivated by the blossoming beauty that surrounding this special place.

Fun objects such as watercans, clay pots, old buckets, silk flowers, live plants, and candles can provide a a light touch to any area that is too serious or intense. I want to use my imagination here as well... I'm thinking of using my MM Foam stamps and stamping "Dance like no one is watching" and "Sing like no on is listening" to a section of the deck railing to provide our visitors with a sense of whimsy and assists to provide the impression that I labored just as hard on the amenities as on the garden itself. I want it to say, "I want to not only show off our plants and flowers, but my artistic talent!" yet, be a soft, tranquil and pleasant space to simply be.

Well, off to begin my powerwashing and move the patio furniture out!

No comments: