Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Yes! I write directly in my magazines. I keep a pen handy while browsing through my mags and make brackets, draw arrows or stars, and write in whatever it is that inspires me creatively about a piece of artwork. My notes may be regarding a technique, a design idea, colors used, an imaged stamped that I'd love to add to my own stamp collection, or an art supply used in certain manner.

This comes in handy for me when I find my own well of inspiration lacking during a dry spell. I can pretty much pick up any of my previously purchased stamp magazines and easily find something that caught my eye and jump start my own creativity.

I do not mean the "CASE" technique you hear scrapbookers speak of {CASE = Copy and Steal Everything} but rather use the artwork to inspire me in my own artwork. Note: I'm not against anyone who scrapbooks and CASE's ideas, layouts, and designs. I know a few scrapbooker's whose entire albums are created this way; I'm saying it simply isn't for me. I truly believe in using inspiration as simply inspiration. I am also a firm believer in giving credit where credit is due. If someone does "lift" and the idea as an exact copy of what someone else has previously created, I sincerely hope that they are providing at the very least a notation of "inspired by _____ {insert the original artist's name here} or provide a link to where the idea came from.

I do believe copying another artist's artwork is the sincerest form a flattery! It isn't an uncommon occurance, especially when one is learning to create in a certain style or attempting to learn a new technique, but please have respect for the original creator and don't claim the idea or design as your own, especially when submitting that artwork for possible publication.

All artwork should be placed under copyright of the original artist - before it is shared with another artist, designer, creator, posted online, shared in an art gallery or used for a manufacturer's display. Designers are paid, either in cash or monetary value with products to share their ideas to promote the manufacturers products, how to's and tutorials are written, time and resources are spent to create the idea and artwork and respect for the individual designer or artist is well deserved.

I truly do not feel designer's are compensated enough for all that do...... whether it a scrapbooker, a rubberstamper, paper artist, mixed media artist, a painter, a _______ despite whatever their medium of choice may be.

I have a friend who I've had many, many discussions with on this very subject with and we've came to the conclusion that in this day in age that there really are not many original ideas anymore. Name a supply or a technique and there has probably been someone somewhere who has done it before! Some artists may expand on an existing idea, carrying it a step further, and receive national recognition for the design. But the point I'd like to make is to "Give credit where credit is due!"

On my blog you will find some tutorials that I took the time to write up. Me, personally, using my own words, not those of someone else, and yes, I've added a copyright symbol "© 2006 Cathy Highland". Most are created using the Creative Commons license meaning you are free are to use them, distribute them, as long as my "copyright" info is attached. If the ideas came from somewhere else, I try to do my best and say who and where whether in print or online any additional information can be found.

More information on Copyright can be found at:

http://www.piercelaw.edu/tfield/ipbasics.htm

http://www.piercelaw.edu/tfield/copyVis.htm

http://www.rightsforartists.com/

http://art-support.com/copyright.htm

and the Creative Commoms

http://art-support.com/copyright.htm

http://creativecommons.org/about/

1 comment:

Someplace in the middle said...

Here is a big hug of support for you! I couldn't agree more with your take on the whole CASE - inspiration - giving credit issues! The only place we seem to part is on the issue of copying being high flattery. I suppose it is but I'm still having a hard time wrapping myself around that concept. I know the Rolling Stones weren't very flattered when The Verve copied part of their music in Bittersweet Symphony and I suspect Monet would not have been thrilled to see CASEs of Water-Lily Pond and the
Japanese Bridge. Still, I'm trying to work on my warm-fuzzy side and accept that those who copy do so with good intentions. I'm trying.

I think that in the end I am not so bothered by the fact that I've been copied but by the attitudes of a few who either feel it is some sort of right of theirs to rip off my designs or that the only reason an artist shares their art is because they want it to be copied. These few refuse to see that some magazines and some parts of the internet can be intended to serve as galleries or museums. I know this marks the difference between the artists that seek inspiration and the crafters that seek directions. Something else I need to work at wrapping myself around.

Oh well, maybe I am the mixed up one... Even thought I know that CASE will always happen I still post my designs on-line. I even supply some of them with the intent that they be copied, with step by step directions!