Friday, May 12, 2006

After creating the card, I threw in the towel! Knowing I'd simply create a mess and nothing I touched would come out as I was envisioning it.

I could feel the lack of inspiration, the loss of my creative muse, so I decided to browse on 2P's in the galleries for inspiration. Doing so further inhibited me for all I seemed to be seeing was everyone else's beautiful creations and nothing that really inspired me to that, "Oh, I've got to try that!" stage. So, I moved from the gallery and to message boards and there I noticed that I wasn't really even in the mood to talk about being creative, what supplies and/or techniques, or anything even artistic related so I backed away from the site.

Later in the day, I thought I knew what I needed... just to relax and allow my muse to come to me. So, I picked up the recent Somerset Studio Take Ten remembering how I really enjoyed this issue and had made some notations on design ideas, color schemes, images used, ect. As I thumbed through it once agian, it didn't take me long to realize I needed to really step away! As I browsed and saw what once thrilled me, I felt no emotions at all. Even the marks I made within the pages of the magazine with all the little notations left me wondering what it was about that artwork that inspired and excited me to begin with. Now that was the final straw!!!

I realized it wasn't the artwork or even seeing the artwork of some of my favorite artists regularly published within the pages, it was ME! I quickly remembered my words of advice given to another stamper recently who mentioned her muse was on vacation in Mexico, who she would gladly have her back hungover and sunburnt! so I looked up the post....

I had replied to her, "I've learned over the years it is simply best not to force it. My creativity waxes and wanes in a rhythm all of its own. I've done some of the things you've mentioned looking for inspiration, researching, trying a new technique, shopping, purchasing a new tool or supply, tried challenges and swaps --- there's nothing like a deadline to get your butt in gear! --- but as Stacy has already mentioned, doing something else works the best!

Inspiration strikes when I'm not seeking it and sometimes at the most awkward of times. I try to write those ideas down as soon as they strike or as soon as it is conveinent to do so. The most important advice I can give is to "Have Faith" this too shall pass! and your muse with return from Mexico, hungover and sunburnt but with a lot of brillant ideas!!! "

Little did I know that my muse would decide to go on vacation with hers, LOL! So, in the meantime, I'm taking my own advice, giving myself some space and permission to work on other things --- something different, like maybe getting back to painting the rest of my kitchen, but more importantly, I'm displaying my faith, knowing that when I least expect it and probably at the most inappropriate time, it will return!

No comments: