Friday, May 12, 2006

"I'm not as good as once was"...


seems to be the theme song of my creative life lately. Somehow what little bit of artwork I've been creating seems to be lacking a lot of the "umph!" it once contained. I cannot quite put my finger on what it is that's changed but I can certainly feel it. I've been creating long enough to know that now isn't the time to force my creative side for I will only waste a lot of supplies by designing some things that I won't like in the long run.

Normally, when this "creative block" hits me, I feel this way... as if I've ran head first into a brick wall!

Sometimes, shopping for a few new supplies will ellieviate this feeling but not this time. One of my orders for a few new stamps arrived, in it the little "Ledger girl" used in this and my previous post. I tried stamping her using several different colors of ink but nothing inspired me about that. Then, I thought just maybe it was the lack of color or the lack of that photography quality to the image that was inhibiting me so I stamped her in some basic black India ink and tried to color her in using chalk. That further inhibited me, so after I re-stamped my image, I decided to try using the magic colored pencil technique which left me also feeling it lacked something. So, then, I sponged on some Colorbox ink thinking more color was needed. Finally, I just knew it was time to give it up! but did I, oh, NO! I went an added some wings from a hydrangea stamp and a crown, then designed the rest of the card. After looking at it with some rather mixed emotions, I decided to scan it and upload it anyways. Now that I've stepped away from it since yesterday, I don't like it anymore today than I did then, LOL! Oh, I love the card design but that little ledger girl that is on it simply has to go!

No comments: