Sunday, May 14, 2006

A day with Alexxis

Amber and Chris had a really hard night with Alexxis Friday. Seems she cried most of the night from 10:30 p.m. to after 7 a.m. Poor Amber, worried, concerned, and totally exhausted called me a little after 8 a.m. saying she'd even contacted her pediatrician thinking something maybe wrong with herand had suggested she be checked out. Wouldn't you know it little Miss Alexxis would asleep on the way to the ER and be snoozing peacefully when they arrived. Upon waking up by having to remove her clothes so she could be examined, Alexxis soon began crying once again. With no real physical reasons for the crying, Amber called me mystified.

I offered to keep Alexxis while she got some rest, which at first she refused stating Alexxis was in her carseat fast asleep and she wasn't touching her, LOL! About 10-15 minutes later she telephoned me back with Alexxis screaming and crying into the telephone asking, "Mom, do you still want to take her?" Of course, I said, Yes!"

Amber and Alexxis arrived a few minutes later, of course, Alexxis is asleep once again. Upon removing from her carseat, she awoke with nothing but smiles for grammie. Amber so tired and exhausted, begins crying and saying, "I feel like such a bad mommy!" "I did everything for her I knew how to do." and then resorted to asking me, "Did grandma help you when I was I baby?" I had to reassure her she did and stressed the importance to Amber of by simply there and trying to comfort Alexxis she was establishing trust and security in Alexxis's life. After getting Alexxis settle in and back to sleep we talked some more before I finally sent my little girl home to get some much needed rest.

Alexxis and I spent the entire day together. I don't believe there was anything physical wrong with her, maybe some gas, or overstimulation. I do believe she's going through a growth spurt though. She's drinking 3 oz. of formula with being burbed between and afterwards and yet, cannot seem to get her little hands into her mouth fast enough right after and sucking herself into frustration. So grammie cheated and mixed her up another oz. and feed her. That did the trick! Soon she was sleeping peacefully. Oh, and she left grandma, not one but two little gifts in her diaper. After her second feeding, Alexxis was in that quiet, alert state that baby's get into. I so love that stage, she laid there quietly at first but I couldn't resist picking her up to hold her close. She gave me smiles and biggie grins almost every time I said, "Mommy's pumpkin; Grammies bumpkin." She was such a joy to spend my rainy day Saturday with... I sat on the couch watching movies and snuggling with her on and off all day long. Around 6, she acted hungry after her feeding, so I had Don hold her as I fixed her up a bottle and from the kitchen I could hear Don singing to her. "She'll love that," I replied. How right I was, by the time I returned, Don stated, "I don't think you'll need that." and I looked to find Alexxis fast asleep within his arms. {insert warm fuzzy here}...

Mommy and Daddy telephoned many times during the day to check up on their little one and arrived after their supper to pick her up. Both of them raced to see her, LOL! Neither having been away from her for so long at one time and missing her greatly. It was a wonderful feeling seeing my own little girl rested and relaxed and able to enjoy the joys of motherhood with a fresh perspective and ready to do it all over again... and without even realizing it she'd blessed all our lives.

No comments: