Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Getting a bit of cabin fever from having to be indoors due the recent rainy days, Don & I both needed to get out of the house. We decided to ride over to Ontario and do our household shopping at Target. After gasing up the truck, we headed for the open road. Traveling east on St. Rt. 309 to St. Rt. 97 is one of our favorite stretches along the way to our destination. Although a light mist had began as we approached that stretch of road, I couldn't resist the temptation to roll down the window to take in the smell of the rain and the rich soil. The fields were soaked with rain and the smell of the wet dirt permeated the air reminding me of my longing to plant flowers in our own backyard. As we travelled, getting closer to our destination, I began wishing I'd brought my camera so we could have stopped at the Bird Sanctuary, one of our favorite places to visit during the summer months. Unfortunately upon approaching the mist had turned into a drizzle so visiting there got put off for another day.

Arriving at Target, we shopped for our household goods, checked the baby section for a hat for Alexxis. I've been in search of a lightweight baby bonnet to protect her delicate head and ears from the wind, rain and sun only to be disappointed once again to find nothing designed with a newborn in mind. As we continued to shop and do a bit of browsing, our tummies began making some awful grumbling noises, so I asked Don if instead of waiting until Wednesday to go to Carrabba's for dinner, could we just get on St. Rt. 30 East to I=71 South and go to the Der Dutchman. Well, the name is changed now, its Heritage Farms but the food and gift shop gallery is still the same --- full of beautiful gifts, candles, home decor items, cards, fabrics and laces while the smell of Amish home cooking waifs through the air. We decided to eat first and browse later. Both of us decided on the buffet featuring a salad bar and hot food bar which we quickly began filling our plates. I had a salad with the most amazing homemade buttermilk ranch dressing and Amish potatoe salad.... yum! while Don attacked the meat on the hot bar buffet before getting himself a salad. After finishing my salad, I got some fried chicken, Amish made chicken and noodles that are so heavenly, mashed potatoes and gravy all of which was simply too much for me to eat. A cup of fresh squeezed lemonade, water, and an after-dinner cup of coffee assisted satisfying my appetite as I pondered upon a piece of Blackberry Cream Pie. Their blackberry cream pie is my fav! but full beyond measure, I decide maybe a slice to go was the way to go. Upon paying for our meal, we browsed the upstairs gift shop.

In the gift shop I spied the most whimsical raincoats and boots. A yellow set that resembled a bumblebee and a red set that featured a ladybug. It was quite the tempation not to pick up a set for Alexxis... but the uncertainty of what sizes and how fast/slow she'll grow delayed my decision. Don spied a gorgeous Amish Oak kitchen cabinet base with a hutch featuring both lights inside interior top cabinet and a beautiful plate rack. I'm telling you it was top quality craftsman ship but not in our budget at the moment. With both our eyes and our bellies full, we headed towards home as Don had to work last night.

After arriving home, putting all our household supplies away, I called Amber having decided I really didn't want to spent the remainder of my day inside and alone. So, I went over and visited with her and Alexxis. It seems I was correct about the growth spurt the baby is in as Amber now is fixing 4 oz. of formula in Alexxis's bottles and she is drinking between 3 and 4 oz. at each feeding. She's even feeling heavier, lol! I offered to babysit while Amber and Chris went out grocery shopping so they wouldn't have to take her in and out in the rain. Upon their return, we spent some time looking at some SB supplies Amber had recent purchased and talked about what she'd like to do in Alexxis's album. Now, we simply need to get together to actually do it!

All in all, yesterday was a great day!

No comments: