Saturday, May 06, 2006

I am so happy!

I spoke with a good friend of ours who works at Home Depot's Paint Department today. He reassured me that my kitchen will be just as beautiful as I envisioned it to be. I was amazed when Terry informed that he receives an average of 100 telephone calls within a week regarding red paint. It seems people have lots of questions such as: Do I really need a primer? Which primer is best - white or gray/grey? Why does my red paint look magenta in the can and while it is being applied to the walls? Why do I need so many coats and how do I apply it? Well, I certainly learned a lot in that short 15-20 minute conversation!

Yes, you should prime first. Selecting the color of primer, either white or gray/grey, depends upon the tone and/or shade of red you are desiring. White primer creates the tone; grey primer creates the shade. A red tone is more of a purer red while a red shade is more of deeper, darker red. Yes, your red paint will look magenta. It is the color of the pigment used to create the tones and shades of red by each manufacturers individual process. And yes, your red paint will appear magenta when applying to the walls. What is the best way to paint using red? Thin individual layers and layers of coats of the paint to ensure both an even coverage and the true color of the red paint tone or shade you originally selected. So, there you have ...... the words from the expert!

I also asked Terry about my trimming in using the paintbrush in those hard to reach places such as next to the white ceiling, the corners where two walls join together. He informed me I am doing the right thing, applying thin coats and layering. He also said I was right about thinking I would need more coats brushed onto these areas because you simply do not get the same amount of paint on the brush as you would a roller. He told me if I applied 4 coats to the walls, try 6 to the trimming in areas, if it isn't matching yet, add another and another. By the time there is double the amount of painted layers on the trimmed in areas I should be at the exact same shade of the paint on the walls! Yippee! I'm on the right track!!!!

No comments: