Monday, June 26, 2006

Our adventures......

I really don't know where to start to tell you about the wonderful day Don and I had yesterday. After I updated my blog with the previous post, I set out to getting ready to greet the day by getting around to my shower and getting dressed. While I was in the shower, Melvin, an older co-worker of mine and a friend of Don's dropped by.

It was great to see Mel once again, he is such a character. If you imagine an old age hippie, you've got a visual of Mel, LOL! He is about average height, small built, loves blue jeans, T-shirts, and flannel shirts. He's got the prettiest blue eyes, and a smile that can light up any room, and a beard, filled with grey, and approximately 5" long and a bit scraggly-looking but a personality that speaks volumes. After finishing up, I made us a fresh pot of coffee while Don got Chaos outside, and we all headed out to sit on the rear deck.

Mel's working at a new job in a stone quarry in Upper Sandusky, Oh now and seems to enjoy it a lot. We chatted about old times at DMI, other co-workers we enjoyed, who we've seen recently and who we haven't, and our grandchildren. Mel has a wonderful 9 yr. old grandson who secretly had a crush on me when we rode back and forth to work together at DMI in Delaware. After work we'd often pick him up so he could spend time with his grandpa and grandma and he's often sit on my lap on the return trip home; he always had a smile for me as we chatted about anything and everything. Mel often teased him about Don getting jealous because he was sitting on my lap, LOL! Anyways, we had a great visit and I know he'll be back soon as he'd love to see Amber and Alexxis. I tried to call her but after a late night with Alexxis, both of them were still asleep; maybe next time they'll make it over.

Shortly after saying good-bye to Mel, Don and I headed out to the Mansfield Antique and Flea Market. I managed to find some great buys. I purchased an entire box of rick rack and ribbon for $2.00 and the gentleman threw in a cute little vintage bird I had in my hands. We browsed through a lot of outdoor booths enjoying the sunny day.

A lot of the vendors returned from the previous month's show but the one I desire to see didn't. Lots and lots of antiques..... from kitchen wares to tools, to odds and end pieces were everywhere. We browsed through one building and I swear I feel in love with an antique arts and crafts table. It was beautiful aged oak and was sturdy after all these years. I shied away from the $285 price tag, though. Don did grab the guys business card so we could visit his store in the area.

We walked and wondered some more and I discovered a beautiful iron footed bowl in an oval shape with two small handles on each side. The asking price was $8.50, the girls said she'd take $7 for it when we counter-offered. I cannot wait to fill it with my newly twirled-around popsicle stick ribbons and in my studio!!!

We purchased some fresh fruit, bananas and peaches, and veggies: viadalia onions, green peppers, and tomatoes and on our way out, I purchased a leather coin purse and a new tote bag.

From there we drove to Belleville where we stopped to browse in two antique stores. The first one was simply amazing! Old vintage wallpaper graced the walls, Victorian furnishings, and a variety of antiques filled odd nooks and crannies. Many vendors consign space within the store and I purchased an old vintage nightgown with lace trim on the hemline and around the neckline for $6 and a little blue bird. I'm not certain what type of glass it is but I loved its streamline design. I'll take some photographs soon.

In the second store, we browsed and browsed some more, had a great conversation with the store owner, and left without a thing in our hands.

Our next stop was in Butler, were we stopped into a convenience store for some cold drinks before driving on over into Lexington where we stopped for dinner at Bader's. We dined on a hot and cold buffet and brought two delicious pieces of red raspberry pie home to snack on later in the evening.

From there we stopped at Mohician Adventure to play a round of putt-putt golf. It seems no matter where we are, if there is a putt-putt golf around, Don and I almost always manage to squeeze in a game! Afterwards, we headed west and homeward bound.

A quick trip into Galion for a brief stop at Dennis and Sheila's. When we arrived no-one was home but the house was left standing open so I assumed Sheila had ran up to the grocery store. Tired and weary, we decided not to wait around and drove on home.

Upon arriving home, we got Chaos back inside, played with for a bit throwing his ball, then relaxed a bit in front of the TV eating our raspberry pie before retiring for the night. It was a beautiful day all in all, filled with laughter and delight!

No comments: