Tuesday, June 27, 2006

some ponderings and a vent....

I recently noticed something that I feel is strange in a way. Ever since I first posted here on my blog and began asking questions regarding the submisisons process on the 2P's stamping site, some of the artist friends that I felt would be there to support me aren't. It sort of disheartening to think that maybe they don't consider me as much of a friend as I considered them.

Personally, I really doubt if I am the only person desiring to move my artwork into this direction but I just really don't understand how someone can sort of pick and choose who they'd like to be supportive of, unless their is some back-biting and gossiping going on behind an artist's back that they are not aware of. I cannot help but wonder if it is where a group of people who believe that anyone who likes or loves their artwork is worth associating with and anyone who doesn't isn't or what the deal really is.

Either way whatever I do decide to do with my artwork is my business and the responsibility of it being accepted or rejected ultimately lies with with the editor of the magazine. I sort of expected rejection from them but my friends? No way. Maybe some are over-reacting to the thread of competition. Let's face it, I myself have seen a lot of examples of rationalizations and paranoid behaviors come out when there is an artist who has made a success out of their artwork. Sometimes I believe that it is illogical often associated with unsubstantiated fears and attacking one artist over another to make them a scapegoat is sort of the norm in a lot of communities. I just didn't expect to be on the receiving end of it so quickly.

Competition is a fact of every occupation, not simply exclusive to one group of people such as artists and I am smart enough to realize that the being judged is sort of the process, but I refuse to be so judged that it becomes so overwhelming that I'll refuse to even compete. Sorry, but it is simply isn't in my nature to quit doing something I so love simply because I may or may not offend another person. This is my life here!

The realization is that there really is a lot of artists who would be successful if only they'd submit their artwork in the first place. I don't buy into the idea that there is a certain allotted spaces for publication and if I happen to occupy one of them another artist won't make it in mentality. Personally, I feel that is pretty absurb. Somerset Studios is a great example of this concept. Why in the world would they go from one Gallery issue a year to two if that was the case? Wouldn't they stop? Wouldn't they simply use the artists on call at their beck and call for their submissions process vs. putting out calls for artwork in the magazines themselves? How would they grow? And does anyone really believe that a magazine of their size would simply stop growing? Not if they are in it for the $$$ they won't. Let's face it, it has to be a profitable business for them to even continue it....... I'm certain if they were losing $$$ continually like with the Expressions magazine they'd simply stop publication of it and work the artwork into another one of their publications. Another thing, what about their advertisers? Let's face it that is where a publication makes the real $$$. Advertising is expensive, especially for a manufacturer of products, it there that real money lies. Getting the materials out into the hands of people who will use them and utilize them to the fullest! And if they can get an artist to submit artwork to them fairly cheaply enough by offering only a compensation of the copy of the magazine the artist is published in and not have to pay them directly compensating them with the big bucks, what do you really believe they are going to to do?

Now, I'm not saying submitting to a magazine doesn't have its perks. As I've mentioned previously when talking about building a resume, writing an artist statement, and creating an artist's bio it is one way to get your name out there and build a foundation from.

I feel artist's struggle enough as it is. They have their own inner critic and demons that they fight daily. Everything from finding the time to create, to not having their artwork turn out as they envisioned it, to desiring the next latest and greatest product to stay competitive that one really does not need so-called friends to put them down, hinder their artist process, tell lies based upon their insecurities and fears, so that one artist will avoid and create excuses for themselves and their artwork. Geesh...... I try to happy about another artist success! You got published, good for you! I celebrate with many in this realm.

And trust me, I am certainly capable of dropping some big names in a variety of specialized areas from scrapbook creators, to rubberstampers, to book artists, and a variety of other art fields to make myself look good. It is a tactic a lot of beginning artists use to get them to where they'd like to be, but it isn't for me. I desire my artwork to speak for itself. And if I offended someone, oh well, get over it, such is life! I'm not above saying, "I'm sorry" if I did something wrong but to simply personally attack me for no obvious reason other than competition isn't going to fend me off. Being an artist to me requires a lot of backbone to begin with, it requires perseverance and a lot of self-discipline and marketing skills. Just because someone has all that doesn't make them a threat to my success in such a way that I'd feel dignified enough to launch a personal attack on them and I hope anyone who is my situation wouldn't either!!!

Be proud of what you've accomplished and don't let anyone take that away from you! I honestly don't intend to.........{*smiles}

No comments: