Friday, July 21, 2006

Gratitude Friday's

Having recently re-read some of my journal entries written over the last year, I suddenly realized that I have become a queen at procrastination! I've re-read all my hopes and dreams, the things that I desired to accomplish and somehow never did. I discovered just how easy it has become for me to put things off, to find and make excuses, and let anyone or anything get in the way of the commitments that I've made to myself and others along the way.

I sat and wondered what exactly it is that I am saying to myself when I do not complete what is important to me. What I discovered is that I often do not find myself and my time worthy of the effort it takes to do for myself what I am so willing to do for others. The revelation of that statement was so sad, I sat with tears streaming down my face, knowing that I am not fulfilling the life that I desire and know in my heart that it isn't the life that God intends for me to have. I sat and simply experienced it all, the emptiness, the loneliness of that statement, and began writing down my thoughts and feelings on tear-stained pages as they came to me like waves crashing down upon my soul. Yes, it was a sad experience, however, it was also so freeing and healing to me. I realized I'm not doing myself any favors by denying myself the true happiness that I seek, so beginning today I'm making a conscious effort to re-commit to striving for and eventually achieving my hopes and dreams.

One of the items on my "Creative To Do List" was to start a gratitude garland. I do not remember where I originally seen the idea, however, I remember it like it was just yesterday. Within an artist's studio, there was this colorful garland hanging. It was created out of 1"x6" strips of paper and resembled one of the paper chains you'd create as a child. Written on each chain was one item taken from gratitude list. As each one was created it was attached to one prior to it until the chain was formed and strung within the originator's creative space. I was so attracted to the idea, being able to visually see what my gratitude garland would look like, how I'd like to decorate it, and see it hanging within my own studio space.

I was once again reminded of the desire to create one while reading my journals, then, once again on one of my favorite blogs that I visit: Autum's at http://creativelittledaisy.typepad.com/ Autum has what she calls "Gratitude Friday" where she creates a list of varying entries on her blog all the things that she is grateful for every Friday. Deciding that if she can accomplish this, so can I, so I'm starting my gratitude garland today. I'm marking it on my calendar to do every Friday and to check Autum's blog to remind me. I've decided not to set any limits to the number of paper chains that I'll create each Friday, just to commiting to creating at least one, allowing one link to link to the next. Of course, I can always follow my heart and discover where the journey may lead if I am inspired to create more than that.

But just for today, I've decided to create the first link in my chain. Today, I am grateful for God's divine presence and intervention within my life! And in the awareness that it is never too late to re-commit to an old idea, hope, or dream.

No comments: