Monday, July 03, 2006

Rainy days and Monday's....

always get me down...... Ok, maybe not exactly true but all this recent stormy weather is certainly making me blue! I was so ready to get all the items in my home taken out to the studio today; at least until it started to pour rain and rumble with sounds of thunder. Scratch that idea...

The last several days have been spent running, shopping, and visiting with family. I made it to JoAnn's to pick up the Fiskar's cutting mat, hand-held rotary trimmer, and guide. From there we made it Mickey's for a surprise birthday party for my dd, Amber's 26th birthday. Picked up pizzas to eat, had cake and ice cream {Breyer's Rootbeer w/ Vanilla, yum!}, watched Amber unwrap gifts, visited and laughted, as well as squeezed in some more cuddling with Alexxis!

I spent some time online doing some research for the quilt I desire to start making. Got a little frustrated that I couldn't find info on the size of a full size quilt...... one site said 80"x106"; another 86"x112" so I called my mom who quickly located some old quilt books she has in her library and it said 84"x110", LOL! Okay. What a dilemna! So, I thought well I want to use a full size flat sheet for the reverse side so I desided to check Linens and Things website to discover that the size of the sheet isn't listed so back to square one...LOL! Then, it hit me. Just use the queen size sheet that I have on our full size bed. It is the same one I have in mind for using in the 500 thread count Egyptian cotton. Only one problem there, my fabric measuring tape is in the studio and it's raining! But the good news is, that once I have that information, I can adjust it to fit my needs since our pillow top matress is deeper and box springs are deep.

Since this is going to be the first quilt I've ever created, I did some more research on whether to wash the fabric prior to beginning, why you should or shouldn't, thread type to use for sewing, and some patterns to use. I've decided to do a simple 12" quilt block pattern, using 4 1/2" squares with 1/4" seam allowance in a 9 block pattern. To use a variety of the fabrics I've purchased, I've decided to alternate 2 9 block patterns on the quilt and alternate the rows as I work sewing them together. So, I made some sketches to allow the idea to brew a bit before I make my fabric choices. Once I'm ready to start and have some 4 1/2" squares cut out, I can play a bit with the actual design and determine how many squares I'll need to cut of each. I'm certain that I've purchased enough fabric that I should be able to create two matching pillow shams with a ruffle border and possibly two 18"x18" throw pillows. And if not, I can always go get some more of the fabrics since I choose some patterns that had a lot left on the bolts. Heck, while picking up the Fiskar mat set, I also grabbed two more fabrics and had them cut to 1 1/2 yards each.... one is a bit over 2 yards since I got it 50% just to purchase it! Gotta love those end of the bolt deals!

I'm sitting here watching Get Crafty, well, more listening, then looking! I'm amazed to see Pam Garrison on there! She's making her home book and then, this just up! She's gonna show how to make the banners!!! Oh, happy day!!!! Gotta go, need to take some notes............. {*smiles --- really big smiles!}

No comments: