Tuesday, October 17, 2006

As Beauty Unfolds....

Many of my blog readers are aware that I am involved in a Deco Round Robin and some of them are also involved in this project with me. Although I love creating deco's {small handmade and embellished books}, it is unfortunate that not eveyone gets to see what others have created within them as the deco travels from one person to another. Okay, you may get to see the artwork contributed in a scanned image, but it isn't the same as holding the artwork within your own two hands. Nor do they get to peak inside of the mind of the artist at the time the artwork was created. I, myself have often wondered about what were their thoughts, their feelings, their inspiration when a piece of artwork was created as well as what techniques and supplies were used. So I decided that I'd share my contribution within Rebecca's "Inspriration and Encouragement" themed deco and my thoughts behind the image and the quote that I choose. Below is a scan of the page I created.




Anyone who knows me, knows that I love roses. More specifically, Pink Sterling Roses! They are my favorites, so I chose to use one for my image. Searching the internet, I was able to find just the right one which inspired me to use the quotation that I did. I know someone may be wondering why a rose for an encouragement and inspiration themes, so I'll explain a bit about my thoughts and my feelings at the time the artwork was created.

I've always loved roses. The soft tenderness of their delicate petals, the splendid greenery of their about to bloom rosebuds, the sturdiness of their supporting stems, along with the gentle reminders to be cautious with their beauty hidden gently tucked away in their thorns.

Roses reminded me of people. Just how often frail and fragile there human spirits can be. They remind me that tenderness, caring, honesty, and integrity are the most important gifts you can give to them --- like the gently guidance brought about by their supporting stems. We need to support and encourage and inspire one another.

As a rose releases its fragrant perfume, it sends me off into the galaxy of remembrance, passed the sun, moon, and stars of so many yesterdays. Then onward, onto clouds of softness with their pink precious petals, like the delicateness of a feather bed they offer a safe place to fall; within their fragile curls, their gentle slopes, and enticing depths.

People are like them. I am like them. Often inviting others to explore with and within me, into my thoughts and feelings. But one has to be careful and use caution not to get too close. For when I feel a bit too vulnerable, I'm just like the thorns and my actions can cause regret, causing one to back away, to stop and admire my beauty once more. Admiring a rose's beauty can lead to unknown places within; in the depths of memories and into the heart and soul of yourself where you will stay until your ready once again to unfold and bloom once again.

I choose the image for several reasons. It is my favorite rose and I loved the way the light comes from within its precious petals. In turn, it reminded me of this quote:

"People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within."

~ Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

Once I had my image and the quotation I desired to use, I looked through my stash of supplies until I chose the crystal dragonfly to represent the stained glass. I removed portions of the silver from the back side to increase the transparency to reflect that of our human nature. The gold butterfly was choosen because I believe people are a lot like butterflies, changing, growing, metamorphosing until the one day that they are ready to open their wings and fly. Both insects are attracted to the beauty of a rose just like the human spirit is.

I loved the ideas of "sparkle and shine" and of the sun shining, so I chose some blue cardstock to add some visual contrast to the artwork and spray painted on some gold paint to add a shimmering quality to the background. Upon this the image was matted and then covered with a piece of delicate pink torn vellum to represent the fragility of the human spirit. Once completed, I felt I had adequately expressed my thoughts and ideas, how attracted we are the true beauty within one another, how fragile that attraction can be, how we all experience vulnerabilities from time to time and without realizing it we pull away as if stung by the sharpess of the thorn. How once we tend to retreat within ourselves to the memories of what makes each of us unique and to once again discover our own true beauty are we encouraged and inspired to bloom yet again.

I hope you enjoyed both the artwork that I created and my thoughts behind the artistic process.
{*smile*}

3 comments:

liannallama said...

wow! How beautiful and symbolic! I really love the quote you used and I'm so glad you explained everything for us!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful!

Cathy said...

Thank you, ladies. Here is Rebecca's response, {I don't think she'd mind if I share it here.} "You have done a LOVELY job on the page. Thank you! I cant wait to get it home and see it in real life!

It was really neat reading your thoughts behind your inspiration and artistic process for this entry.

Thanks again for sharing."