Tuesday, December 26, 2006

A Christmas Meme...

Several of my blogger friends have been posting their answers to this Christmas Meme, so I thought I'd jump on the same bandwagon --- after all we're friends, right?

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?
I like Egg Nog occasionally, with rum, please! Although, hot chocolate is a winter staple for me. Don on the other hand, loves chocolate and milk; just don't mix the two together, LOL!


2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Dfinitely wrapped! I love shopping for gift wrap just as much as love wrapping gifts! The simplest I do is a gift surrounded within tissue paper tucked lovingly inside a gift bag.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
We placed no lights on the house this year {remember I was going to measure our porch for winter greenery galand? LOL! That didn't happen.} Both of our trees feature white lights, although I loved colored lights as well.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No, however, Don and I make a game of discovering where it is hung year after year!

5. When do you put your decorations up?
I begin my Christmas decorating often the day after Thanksgiving. I may take me up until Christmas Eve to get everything I desire to use set up and in place.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Oh no, NOT a favorite question... I love so many things that these are the always the hardest for me. I hesitate, think of something, then think of something entirely different, LOL! However, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without at least on dinner consisting of candied ham!

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child:
My favorite childhool memory is related to Christmas.. My brother, who is a carpenter now, attempted to build me a coveted log home playhouse by cutting down a neighbor's cherry tree. He drew sketches of what the log home would look like, right down to the gerainiums in the window boxes. Years later, I painted an old saw, purchased at a flea market, with a log home with red geraniums in the window sills. My brother cried when he opened it; surprised that I had remember that from our childhood.


8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

I honestly don't remember but I do remember discussing all the possibilities of Santa with my brothers and younger sister. I don't remember feeling any disappointment with the knowledge however, I gained an entirely new level of respect for my parents!

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
I don't personally open a gift now that I'm "grown-up". However, when my daughter was little we had a tradition of allowing her to open one gift on Christmas Eve. Usually new pj's; perfect for Christmas morning pics!


10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?

Our big tree in our living room is decorated in a Victorian theme... burgandy, hunter green, navy blue, and gold finished ornaments. There are some special ornaments that we try to add a few more to every year. I use a gold beaded garland that I swap over the branches, and a burgandy with gold embossed ribbon, tied with bows completes the tree.

Our smaller tree in our kitchen is decorated in silver and blue. A white and blue garland with silver icicles complete the look!


11. Snow! Love it or dread it?
Both! I love having a White Christmas! I love watching it fall silently and softly, feeling all giddy with excitement. I love to wake up and see it laying across our backyard, untouched and glistening as the sun begins to rise. I also love seeing it in the twilight hours, as the day turns quietly to night, there's something magical in that moment when the white become a beautiful blue.

On a day to day basis, I don't like the cold, the wetness, the tracking it in on our wood floors. I don't like to drive in it and I hate the yuck it makes when dirty from car exhausts.

12. Can you ice skate?
Are you kidding? I have never tried!!! I do not believe that I am going to start at my age, LOL!


13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
No. I cannot say that I have recieved a favorite Christmas gift. Gift giving is such a small part of what I love about Christmas.


14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you?

The "W" in Christmas Love. The "M" turned upside down, "Christ Was Love" It reminds be to forgive others, to be kind, to be grateful, caring, and giving. To meet the needs of another without waiting to be asked. It is about celebrating the birth of Christ, his life, his love, and sharing that love with family and friends.


15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?

Without a doubt, the Cookies. Not one in particular, I love them all equally!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Visiting Medina's Candlelight Walk, the Saturday before Thanksgiving. We seldom miss it... another is driving around looking at the Christmas lights!

17. What tops your tree?
A burgandy and gold bow graces our living room tree. It is too tall for the glass topper! A small blue angel is on the kitchen tree.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?
Definately giving. I love shopping for gifts that I know others will enjoy. Although, the receiving isn't bad either, LOL!

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
Silent Night.

20. Candy canes: Beautiful to display in glass jars and wonderful to make milkshakes with!!!! I love Smith's Peppermint Ice cream!!!!

21. Favorite Christmas movie?
The original Miracle on 34th Street with Natalie Wood. Although, I enjoy them all!

22. What do you leave for Santa? Decorated Sugar Cookies and a small glass of milk.

No comments: