Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Do Dreams Have Meaning?

Apparently, in my life, they do!

I remember a few months ago, when I had the dream regarding creating "And the day came..." collage. I dreamt about it before it was created! I reached out into my dream to touch it before I awoke. I felt this over-powering desire and urge to create it; that nagged at me until I did exactly that! I remember Jacque posting a reply to my collage after I shared it on 2P's stamping gallery, and her reply, "It must feel good to bring your dream to life! It's like something wanting to be born..." and my friends, that is exactly what it is like! A desire, a need, a ... whatever... waiting to be born!

Remembering that dream, right now, and thinking about it, I cannot help but to think about the Anais Nin quote that I submitted to Suzanne of Quietfire Designs to be created in calligraphy and made into a rubber stamp. "And the day came when the pain of remaining tight in the bud became greater than the risk it took to open." Is it possible that these are some long ago, forgotten memories, that are somehow painful or so personal and heartful to me, that in some way,they have no other way to surface or manifest themselves in my life?

Ever since I began discovering the enjoyment that creating in paper arts brings to me and my life, I have dreamt about creating. It is a part of my creative process, somehow. Whether it is a design idea, an embellishment, or the concept behind a piece of artwork, I can no longer deny that it is there. As an mixed media artist, I have struggled to find my own personal style and my own niche within its circle. I am honestly believing this is a part of the creative process, just as imitation of other artists has assisted me to grow through learning along the way. I don't think I am all that different from other artist who desire to grow in their artwork. I long to tap into my own sub-conscious mind and bring those thoughts, feelings, and ideas into my own reality. Heck, I've even wondered what artwork I am capable of creating if only I could somehow tap into that state of mind and history is filled with a variety of artists who used mind-altering drugs to achieve that state of being. Now, mind you, I am not that desparate, LOL! although an occassional glass of wine or other alcohol beverage doesn't seem to interfere with the process. I have long admire other artists who seem to be able to reach deep down inside themselves and bring those thoughts, ideas, and concepts back out into the light of reality. I admire their willingness to share such vulnerabilities, with such a sense of honesty and integrity, and the boldness it has to take to simply put it out there!

I guess I never really gave myself credit for being able to do that. Honestly, I never thought that I would be one who would be capable of doing it. Creating this blog, two years ago, was a challenge for me, LOL! It is that vulnerability, that sense of opening up and saying this is who I am that is so scary. I believe I am so fearful of what someone else may think, or say, or do, that I am not so comfortable with sharing. And can definately understand that... about myself and others. I believe everyone's spirit has somewhat or somehow been murdered, in some way or another, from our dealings with the relationships within our lives. As I grow as an artist, I cannot count the number of times that I have heard, read, or felt the concept that "Art Heals" or "Art Saves Lives". And I truly, believe it does!

As many of my blog readers know, I have recently been struggling with employment issues. I don't just want a "job", I want something meaningful; something that I am so happy doing that the payment I receive is second to the love and enjoyment that I derive from doing it! I have been praying recently about this, seeking some clarity, and I don't have the answer yet... but I am certain that somehow "creating art" has something to do with it!!!! Afterall, that is my dream!!!

No comments: