Friday, December 29, 2006

A Productive Day...

Yesterday turned out to be a very productive day for me. I got off on the right foot by washing up a small amount of dishes, cleaning countertops, etc. before tackling some of the holiday leftovers. Mainly the ham... See, there are advantages to going elsewhere for the holidays! There wasn't a lot of leftovers for us to have to deal with.

I did, however, get creative with the ham. Some was sliced for sandwiches and for ham and eggs for breakfast this morning, while the rest was cubed. I pre-heated the oven, and whipped up a small casserole dish of scalloped potatoes, and the remaining cubes went into a small pot of homemade potatoe soup. A dish of sliced ham covered in water also made it's way into the oven for sandwiches. So, yesterday "specialties" consisted of ham sandwiches, potatoe soup, and scalloped potatoes. Of course, I had to eat a little bit of everything but it was nice not having to cook several meals during the course of the day.

In the afternoon, I began gathering up some of the remenants of Christmas. Tins, candy dishes, decorating accessories... wrapping paper, bows, bags, and some gift boxes. I did remove my large snowman, took some wall decor items off the walls, and replaced them with the day to day pictures. Don pitched in and helped out by taking what I'd gathered up so far back to the attic for storing.

While he started on our laundry, I cleaned and moved some of the gifts we recieved into our home before tackling the kitchen and bathroom floors. Later in the afternoon, I took a break. It was great to simply relax, not having to rush off anywhere and just idle-ly meander thoroughout the house doing whatever I felt inspired to do.

In the early evening, while Don worked at the store, I felt inspired to get started on a few of the "Thank You!" cards I am sending this year, along with a letter to a friend telling her just how special her friendship is to me! Of course, I had to create a simple little card to tuck the letter into. And talk about "perfect timing", I finished cleaning up from the card making just as Don arrived back home. So, we spent an enjoyable evening relaxing in front of the TV before retiring for the night. Early, I might add.

Well, early for me, at 10 p.m. and I paid for it by waking up at 1:30 a.m., spent some time browsing online until about 4:30 a.m., and heading back to bed. I did manage to get some sleep. Don cancelled my chiropractor appointment for 10:30 a.m. today, knowing I had been up and down during the night. I woke up at 9:30 a.m., grateful for not having to rush around to get ready.

Today's agenda, is to tackle a bit more of the Christmas decorations. I believe I am going to take down our living room tree. I'll still have the smaller 4' tree in the kitchen to take upstairs, but I'd like to enjoy it for a little bit longer! Thankfully, it is easy put away --- decorated! Gotta love that!

I'll be calling Sheila later this afternoon to finalize our plans for our New Year's Eve celebration on Saturday. Our actual, New Year's Eve, will be spent at home alone on Sunday. We had a recent change of plans, so Don and I will be going over to her and Dennis's home, playing cards, listening to music, having a few drinks, and spending the night as neither Don or I look forward to being on the roads. We'll wake up on Sunday and make a sausage buscuit and gravy breakfast --- gotta have pork to bring us good luck! LOL! It is more of a tradition to us than being superstitious!

Well, the day is waning away... guess I should get going and get something else accomplished. My mind will soon be turning towards organization efforts within our home and my studio, hopefully, making our lives a bit more productive this year.

No comments: