Saturday, January 20, 2007

My first artwork since the remodel began....



When I first saw a link to this Gothic style arch, I instantly knew that I wanted in this swap! Although at first, I was a little intimidated by its shape, I quickly put that notion in the back of my mind. A friend of mine shared her rendition using Michelle Ward's line of Green Pepper Press images, I was truly inspired. Not owning any of Michelle's images although I have coveted them for some time, I decided to visit her Green Pepper Press website. I was once again inspired, especially by one of her images, "Blackbird singing in the dead of the night" which reminded me of yet another song... Simon and Garfunkle's Sound of Silence. So, I got into Microsoft Word, googled the lyrics, and pasted them in, played with text until I got it how I wanted it and finagled it around from there to fit the arch.

Next, I was stumped for images. I could go through my own stash but before I head to the studio, I decided to do another internet search for Gothic style artwork. It was then that I spotted the Madonna and Child images and instantly knew that was what I desired to use! Another google search led me to this one and although on a porcelain box it worked since I only needed it to be 2D! After chosing the image, I remembered that I had a rubber stamp that has the hands of creation in it and I though it would be cool stamped on a transparency and used within the piece along with some gold heat embossed swirls.

Once the idea was there, the rest, as they say was history. I couldn't work fast enough to get this assembled and I love the results. The gold tinsel was the perfect touch, agree?

No comments: