Friday, February 09, 2007

Making time for family and friends...

The past several days found me cleaning our home and resting a bit more. Unfortunately the recent cold temperatures and increased activity have flaired up some aches and pains within my aging body, reminding me to slow down and take time to care for myself. Spending so much time on my studio and home lately, I was reminded that I often spend a lot of time alone. To balance that I made a telephone call I'd been meaning to make for some time now to my good friend, Christine. We chatted for a few hours, catching up with one another Chris has been exploring Sally Jean's Pretty Little Things book and creating her own artwork using the techniques within it. She is a wonderful and amazing artist that I believe one day we'll see within the pages of Somerset Studios. We made promises to get together again soon.

Early in the day, I had a really hard time which ended up with me feeling hurt and crying. Amber, my only daughter, had telephoned me, frustrated with all that she needed to do and get done and desparately needing a mommy break from the lovely, little Alexxis. As I responded that I didn't know what we were doing yet, she became extremely upset with me, and said something she shouldn't have said. Our conversation ended with us raising our voices and hanging up on one another. I love my daughter, but sometimes her demanding, selfishness creates some problems in our relationship and yesterday was one of those days. Our conversation left me wishing for more understanding, more respect of one another's feeling, and less insensitiveness to which I shed some tears over. Later in the afternoon, she telephoned me back to apologize, we talked. A really heartfelt talk. I smiled as I placed the telephone back on the cradle and realized that I had taught her well, at least she is able to admit and apologize when she's wrong and I gained a entirely new respect for her, too. We made plans to spend the day together soon.

Late in the afternoon yesterday, I telephoned another friend and her grown daughter and we made arrangements to met at the Moose Family center in the evening. Once there, we had a relaxing evening, dining on submarine sandwiches, and enjoyed a cold beer or two. It was great to sit and enjoy one another's company, catch up with one anothers lives, and make some future plans to get together again. While talking we both learned something new about each other that we didn't know before... we were born one day apart! but in different years. Faye's birthday is February 13th; while mine is February 14th! As we were departing to go our separate ways, Faye told me, "Remember to Celebrate! It's our birthday weekend!"I smiled, thinking to myself, "Everyday is a reason to celebrate for we've been given another day of life." I wanted to share that here so I can add that to my gratitude garland soon.

As my birthday approaches, Don and I discussed plans about what I'd like to do for my special day. This has become a somewhat of a tradition over the years as I my birthday falls on Valentine's day. I believe I've previously mentioned that I do not like to fight the crowds while attempting to dine out on that day or evening, so this year I asked to celebrate with Dennis, Sheila, and Josh by going to Fork-n-Fingers in Mansfield on the 18th for an evening out. So, we've made arrangement to do just that. I am looking forward to sharing my day with people I love and that love me back. That is so important to me and I'm happy I made the time, the effort, and the friends that I have made over the course of my life. Is there anything better? {smiles}

No comments: