Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Blanket Fan stitch...



This photograph is of the second blanket fan stitch that I've sewn on this block. My first was created using two strands of yellow DMC floss on the green print block near the appliqued lace heart. It turned out okay but I quickly decided that I should make my stitches longer so the fans are a bit bigger and display themselves more prominently. On this attempt, I use purple perle cotton size 5 and created them bigger. I worked until I became a bit sleepy and decided to stop for the night. I intend to extend it around the outer edge of the entire block of lilac colored satin. This one was a easier to do than the first as I learned to start at the edge of where I desired the fan to begin vs. in the center as I attempted previously using the floss on the other piece.

Also, do you see the ripples in my fabric pieces? Those are the results of machine stitching. I did a bit of research by reading more in The Magic of Crazy Quilting book and learned that the fabric needs to be guilded and held taunt in front of and behind the needle. No easy feat for a begining seastress, LOL! I concluded that on my next CQ block creation that I will hand baste my stitches to see if I can elimate that and practice more using the sewing machine with scraps of fabrics.

Another lesson in learning was no matter pretty all the trims and accent pieces look on the quilt block, save those embellishments for end of embellishing the block. I really had to watch my threads ensuring that the were no tangles or catching upon them as I stitched. Ah, the lessons I learned by doing! Thankfully, I'm documenting them within my CQ stitching journal as I continue to work; those notes will be wonderful little reminders as I continue to learn and explore. {smiles}

No comments: