Saturday, March 31, 2007

Spring Cleaning and preparations...




After planting and potting flowers, I walked around our yard making mental notes of what I'd like to do where, noting areas that aren't well-drained and would need to be avoided or planted with bog-like plants, or perhaps raised beds, and I began thinking about designing a garden sketch of what is in my mind and dreams. I'm still uncertain of what I desire within all this space. I can envision parts of it, its just pulling it all together. While I walked, Don began emptying and making preparation for me to clean out our water garden. That has certainly become an experimental process as I'm still learning the ends and out of planting, maintaining, and watergardening itself. Although, I do look excited towards working with it once agian.

Finally, I'd decided I'd wasted enough time with my heads in the clouds, I began focusing my attention to our rear deck. After inspecting it, making a list of boards that require replacing,noting that handrail needs to be re-installed for safety reasons onto one set of steps leading out into our backyard, and the dreams I envision for it, I began powerwashing it. After several hours, I'm happy to report that 3/4 of our deck is finished! I had to stop as not to saturate the ground near the hot tub as Brian will be over one day this weekend to work once again on our hot tub maintainance and unforutanely needs to crawl under the deck. Perhaps one day next week, I can finish it up, before turning my attention to waterproofing it. Several years ago, a friend assisted me with that job; this year, I'll be on my own accomplishing it. While I had the powerwasher out, on decided to wash and clean up our Jeep. So, things are beginning to take shape and come along. I just hope and pray that the weather co-operates a bit while we work to complete this and that. Afterwards, we can begin decorating it with our patio set. I'm excited about the promise of branching out into our outdoor space and setting my sights upon decorating there once again. Little by little, year after year, we add to this space, with either furniture or plant materials, so I'm excited to see the changes we'll make throughout the seasons this year.

No comments: