Saturday, April 14, 2007

My CQ throw - Thoughts and Decisions...

I am anxiously waiting to get started on creating my crazy quilt throw! The past several nights, I've even dreamt about beginning to sew it together. Living in a dream world is one thing; actually getting started on it was quite another.

I knew that before I could begin to embark on this journey, I clearly needed to reach some decisions. What do I desire for the finished size of my throw to be? Will I hand sew or machine stitch it? What types of fabrics do I desire to use and how those choices effect the cleaning of my throw once completed? Am I happy with my color choices? Do I desire to incorporate any images or pictures into my design? and a myriad of other questions plagued my mind when I begin to consider embellishing it. I knew there was quite a lot that I needed to consider now, before I could I even begin starting to work on it. So today, I forced myself to sit down and take the time to think about those things and I have finally came to the conclusions!

I desired for my finished throw size to be 50"x60". However, I quickly realized that if I'm using a 60" muslin for my base fabric to sew, by hand! my crazy quilt scraps onto, it's possible that the finished size wouldn't be 50"x60". I had to ask myself would I be okay with that? When I thought more about it, I decided rather than stitching two pieces of muslin together to make my base a bit bigger, I'd be okay with it being a few inches shy. That solved a lot of my options there.

Next, I needed to determine if I even had that much muslin on hand or would I need to purchase more? If I purchased more, would I want to sew it or use one solid piece? So, I took out my muslin and measured what I had on hand. I was so stoked to realize that I've more than enough to begin working with!

My next question was do I have enough fabric to get started? The answer, yes! Even if I decided only to use the 6 color choices that I recently purchased, I have enough. So, I took those fabrics back out of my fabric cabinet and looked at them once again. Which, in turn led me to my next question. Do I desire to use only these six fabrics? What about the velvet, I purchased? Do I desire to incorporate all the fabric I've purchased for this project and mix it up more? So, I took those fabric outs, set them on my sewing table and looked long and hard at each of them. First, in separated piles; then, all together. Then, I added in the beautiful brown velvet. I suddenly realized that if I decide to add the velvet, caring for my throw once completed, completed changes from being able to machine or hand wash and dry it at home to having it professional dry cleaned. That made me stop to consider how I intend to use the throw. Do I desire to simply look at it or actually use it? That answer was easy... I want to use it, to cherish it, to wrap myself up in its warmth and beauty once finished. So, I'm truly leaning towards not adding the velvet. I know it would add so much beauty to the quilted throw and it breaks my heart to think about not using it, but I believe for using the throw and for caring for it after it is created, this is my best option. My next decision was to use all of the fabric I've purchased to date for this project. It will add so much more visual texture and colors to the throw.

I also decided to save all the remaining fabrics from this project and use them to create a smaller block {hmmm, approximately 20"x20} to cover an 18"x18" Soft n Crafty downlike pillow form. Maybe I can add some velvet to it or use it for a border.. anyways, I'll have a bit more options to think about when I'm ready to create it. I, also, thought that perhaps, I could create a small wallhanging or a matching table runner of some sort with the remaining fabrics. Lord knows, I've already purchased enough... I may as well use them.

So, today's agenda is to begin washing, drying, and pressing my fabrics getting them ready so I can begin working on it soon. I know this is going to be a huge undertaking for me and a long, slow process. Especially, since I've decided to hand sew it all together! I'm hopeful that I'll end up with a better quality crazy quilt throw by doing so. While I'm working to sew it all together, I will be ready to consider my options about embroidering and embellishing it. I think I should start a new section in my journal so that I can write down and keep up with any inspiration that strikes during this process. Perhaps, as I get begin to work, I can work on some smaller blocks to keep up with my learning some more stitches --- practicing and maintaining those skills.

Thankfully, I've only one ATC swap to create and a small 4 person Deco RR to complete; after I finish up preparing my packages for mailing this weekend and getting them postal on Monday. That should provide me with ample opportunity to get started and continue working on this. I'm ready!!! {*smiles*}

No comments: