Saturday, May 19, 2007

10 Tips to be Creative....

Pat @ http://gatherings100.blogspot.com/ recently posted a link to a list and added some of her own creativity tips and asked other bloggers to blog about their favorites, so here is my list:

Don't try to force it! Over the years, I've learned that my own creativity comes and goes in spurts. I've discovered that there is a truly a time for everything, whether it be researching an idea, gathering information about a craft, attempting to learn something, the learning experience itself, allowing your thoughts to brew on it for awhile is all part of the process! Nothing stiffles my creative worst than trying to force it to come to me. Changing from one medium to another sometimes helps my creative juices flow. Attempting something is another thing! I've attempted many, many crafts trying to learn the in's and out's of a variety of them. Some, I sucked at tremendously {knitting and crocheting}; while other's I simply found my "niche" within them. However, I would have never known that had I not at least "attempted" them in the first place. It's too easy sometimes to think, "I could never do that." How are you ever going to really know if you don't attempt it? Do you really need a "niche"? I used to think that maybe I could excel better at some things I create if only I'd focus my attention more on one thing. Like creating scrapbooks, rubberstamping, mixed media, bookbinding, sewing, quilting, etc. Thankfully, I came to my senses and realize that while this may be great for some people, I'm certainly not one of them! So, knowing yourself is important in the creative process as well. And never be afraid to attempt combining them! Some of my favorite things that I've created come from utilizing what I've learned in one craft that I crossed over to using within another! Never be afraid to do what you've never seen done before! Creating my own crazy quilt throw is a good example for me. I've never seen a crazy quilt before in my life until I saw one in a magazine and I instantly knew I desired to learn how to create one. The internet and libraries are filled with "how to" information and most people will help you if you only ask. Don't be afraid to break the rules or color outside the lines. What works for one person may not be what works for you. Once I've taught myself how to do something by following the "traditional" methods, I use that knowledge to make it my own. Which leads me to "Be Yourself!" No greater words were ever spoken than these: "To thine oneself, be true..." and most importantly, Start with what you know, what you have, and expand upon it. When I first began creating scrapbooks, I had very limited supplies... sheets of paper, my photographs, adhesive, and a pen mainly. As I learned a variety of technqiues using only these things, I grew creatively. As I purchased more supplies, I learned new things and a variety of ways to use them... and I kept adding to them. Soon, I ventured into learning how to rubberstamp and discovered mixed media which opened up an entirely new world to me. I've created ATC's, collages, assemblages, and decos, which lead me to desiring to learn how to create and bind my own handmade books. Scrapbooking, rubberstamping, and collage help me to fill the pages. Fascinated by paper, I quickly discovered a variety of techniques that one can do with paper, come from the sewing and fabric world so naturally, I just had to venture into that too. I one day hope to create a fabric handmade book {something I've never done} and create a mixed medie style fabric wallhanging --- which means I really need to learn how to applique... but I'm not afraid to try it! So, my last creative tip is: Loose the fear by trying! Who knows, you may just create a masterpiece! {*smiles*}

No comments: