Sunday, May 20, 2007

Stash Building....

Can you keep a secret? Maybe for just a little while? Any ole' how, as my good friend, Sheila, would say, I have a secret to share.

I spent some time online browsing fabric shops for quilting treasures yesterday when suddenly it hit me that Charm Packs would be a wonderful way to build my fabric stash for CQ'ing. Charm packs are usually pretty inexpensive {can be found for under $10}, the color combinations and prints coordinate beautifully --- they take some of the guesswork out of the way, and you get a variety of cotton fabric in assorted colors and prints. I even found a few that were half-priced as the fabrics are no long the "what's popular" being promoted by the design manufacturers. The fabrics included a range from 20-40 pieces, pre-cut into 5" squares which will save me some time from cutting my own, and I can add my own velvets, satins, and silks to accent them.

I know a lot of people obtain fabric from scouring yard sales, shopping at thrift stores, give-aways from family and friends, ect. and that's fine, too. However, I haven't been so fortunate or lucky in that aspect, although I have received some wonderful lovelies from other CQ'ing newbies who've been willing to share. Those were enough for me to get several small projects under my belt while I decided whether or not this craft is for me. It also doesn't stop me from checking or scouring for them this way either --- especially the more expensive fabrics like silks, satins, and velvets. One thing that has stuck in my mind, however, is that by the time I pay for such "finds", I may have well just went to a fabric store and purchased a 1/8th, a 1/4, or a half yard and the quality of the fabric is so much better! Of course, I've learned that depends upon where you buy it. That ole' saying, "you get what you pay for" is certainly true as I've learned when I bought cotton for quilting at WalMart. $1 and $2 a yard sounds almost too good to be true, and trust me, in terms of quality, it is. I'm also smart enough to know that "fat quarter" quilting is an expensive way to quilt when you compare it to purchasing varying amounts of fabrics off of the bolt. But the charm packs seemed perfect for me to purchase fairly inexpensively for small CQ projects and gift giving. Needless to say, $30-something dollars later, I've four of them heading my way! Two Charm Packs are the Christmas Presence {April Cornell for Moda Fabrics}, these were discounted almost 50% and will be wonderful for a few small CQ'd Christmas Ornaments; one is a Bed of Roses, a beautiful variety of both large and small prints and almost solid colors; and the last but not least, is the Mary Rose, another beautiful variety of florals in both large and small scale, some striped florals, and polka dots! The good thing is that these are fairly available right now, so should I decide I desire more to create a larger project they will be readily available for a period of time and I can also purchase yardage of some of the fabrics contained within them. I also love the fact that I can create with these in a variety of projects; ordering them as I create! These should last me for a while as I work to build up my beads, threads, silk prints, and charms. Lord knows, I don't need to accumulate, store {hoard}, or collect anymore of any art supplies! And trust me, I'm going to learn how to applique... I've been making and keeping some notes in my art journal for that fabric collage wallhanging! And I may just make a co-ordinating CQ'd border to frame it within! Now I just need to figure out how to tell Don. {Where's that child that is in that commercial that hollars, "Dad, Mom wants a new floor." when you need him?} LOL!


3 comments:

sunnyrains show said...

You produced terrific! I was very pleased bogger newcomers can read your blog to share your joy!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

I've tried the 'charms' to get variety, but tend to need to add my own to get longer than 5" will cover. If you're in need of fancies, check out this summer sale for stash building at http://cqtreasures.blogspot.com/. Good quality, great value - IMHO.

Cathy said...

Thank you, Charlene for that suggestion and a valuable resource that I may be able to use at a later date. The charm packages I ordered should work wonderfully for some small projects I have in mind as they won't require large pieces. I'm a bit hesitant to begin undertaking another large project at this time because I may be some life changes, returning back to work soon, and I do have the large crazy quilted throw to continuing working on. Now, I just need to figure out how I'm going to fit everything into my life --- an on-going challenge, LOL! *smiles*