Sunday, September 07, 2008

CED ~ 2008 - Tweaking the space...

I played around yesterday afternoon removing and replacing items around the room using only items I already owned gathered up from other rooms in our home. A three piece canister set, a Christmas gift given to me previously, adds a touch of "fall harvest" feel to the curio cabinet's glass shelves. I couldn't part with my book art structures, so I added in a few personal touches of collage art tags to personal the cabinet just a bit more.

Here's more of a straight on shot, after some even smaller changes were made. I turned the images that are displayed on the canisters so that each image could be viewed. Doing so added more pops of color and the faux pears were stolen from the kitchen where they seemed to get moved from one spot to another with ease.


This it the top of the curio cabinet created by relocating many of the items that I previously had within the room. I added the beautiful bronze glazed pot and refilled it with a few of my seashells, more because the colors and textures work here. As to not to add too much more, yet to put a touch more fall color into this vignette, I'm leaning towards adding a wider piece of fall ribbon draped and woven throughout the vignette. I'll need to make a trip out to the studio to gather it up and add to this at a later date. I'm also thinking of creating a "thankful" or "gratitude"banner using shipping tags just to add some additional spice. I think it would be beautiful and work well into Thanksgiving.

I switched the bird cage and the fall floral urn arrangement around when I remembered how the foilage pulled the color scheme out into the room. I also replaced the napkin lining the bottom of the bird cage to a red runner that I sort of folded and scrunched up. It still needs a pop of fall foilage, color, and additional texture so I can be looking for something to add while going through what fall items I have on hand and/or perhaps, pick up while out running errands in the month ahead.

In this cozy corner, I added a framed print taken from our bedroom. I've always loved this image of the little girl gathering flowers that speaks of days gone by leisurely spent in a garden. I desire to change the top of the corner curio cabinet with a punch of fall color: perhaps some faux grapes to go with the wine bottle and a fall-scented candle will do the trick. I can also envision some Indian corn with the husk peeled back tucked in here, hmmm?

The smaller framed print on this table, the one of the vintage girl holding the dove, has been removed and hung on the wall to remove the bare spot over the bird cage and lamp. It works for now and allows me to consider other options for the space as I set about tweaking it more for Autumn in the upcoming month.

Feeling in a "fall mood" after adding all these little touches to the room, I headed to the kitchen to cook up a Savory Slow-Roasted Pork Stew for dinner. Here's my recipe:

Savory Slow-Roasted Pork Stew

1 pkg. of Mc Cormick's Slow-Roasted Pork Crockpot Seasoning

1 pkg. of Mc Cormick's Pork Gravy

2 slices of pork loin

2 1/2 cups of water
2 cups of diced potatoes
1 1/2 cups of sliced carrots
1 1/2 cups of corn
1 cup of green beans
This can be placed in a crockpot a slow cooked over the course of the day, placed in the oven at 350 degrees and baked for 2 1/2-3 hrs., or how I did it in a 5 qt. pot brought to a boil, then simmered for 2 1/2 or so hours. Remember to stir and to add water frequently, the broth will thicken upon cooking down. Just dilute, stir, and check in another 15-20 minutes.
I baked a roll of Pillsbury Buttermilk biscuits with ours. Smoothered in buttery richness! Yum! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Lisa Renéa said...

Cathy, this looks beautiful. Such a showplace. I'm wondering if you ever find a minute to kick off your shoes & chill? Your always so busy, I need some of your motivation!! :)