Saturday, June 20, 2009

More photographs from Cumberland Falls...


We learned that the light surrounding a full moon attracts a lot of visitors to Cumberland Falls as they travel to experience and witness a pretty unique event that often occurs here, called a moonbow. A moonbow occurs 2 days before and two days after a full moon and when certain conditions are met such as good weather, water temperature, significant mist rising, wind speed and direction, water clarity, clear skies and moonlight... and I just have a feeling those conditions were met if our trip on the 7th of June was any indication. I imagined it to be quite a magical and mystical event, sort of like stargazing for the lone shooting star. Definitely something I'd love to see and experience myself one day...

{After arriving home I discovered this photograph taken on the 6th of June one day before our visit... but I swear the magic was still in the air! I also learned that there was once an hotel on the site named the Moonbow Inn, how much more romantic could it get? and I discovered this photograph {from the Cumberland Falls website, I believe} that shows a more detailed view of the entire Falls area taken from up the path that Don and I ventured upon... it will provide you with a better overview of where Don and I later on in our photographs...}





After continuing to follow the trail, {which would be the left of the photo above} Don and I discovered ourselves making friends and exchanging cameras with other visitors once again.... and by trails, I don't mean the strewn-with-tree roots and loose gravel kind... the paved pathways and carved stone steps made getting here very easy for Don.



I climbed up and over some rocks and a few small trees to capture this shot...




I don't believe either of us were disappointed...





The people we met, the views of the falls, the wet breeze from the mist, and only the sight of a moonbow could have made it any better!

No comments: