Wednesday, February 09, 2005

More on my home remodeling project....

The remodeling continues.....

Shelia and Dennis delivered my new secretary desk Saturday evening. Did I mention that Dennis is a fine wood craftsman who does extra-ordinary things with his creations? Anyways, I love it! It will be a perfect addition to this side of my living room, especially since it will only hold so much. LOL! Decreased clutter was the entire objective there. I'm planning to place it right next to the front door for storing current bills, current address book and calendar, and postage supplies for our home. A few knick-knacks placed upon a doily with protect the surface and dress it up a bit. An interior removable shelf will provide me an excellant writing surface for sending postcards, "thank you's", and letter writing. Something I despirately need to improve upon doing, LOL!

My computer amoire, on the other hand is giving me fits!!! I had Dennis pick me up two more quarts of the paint. So yesterday, I painted a second coat on the inside, after sanding with a fine grit sandpaper and removing any remaining dust. Trying to cover the "mottled" appearance left behind from the first coat that I rolled with a roller, this time I purchased an expensive paintbrush and brushed it on. Can you say, "brushstrokes?" URGH!!!

I've come to the conclusion that this is occurring for several reasons. One, I'm not using unfinished wood --- like Dennis uses. Two, the cabinet, we discovered upon converting it, was made in Mexico and isn't wood like we originally thought. It is laminated OSB board! I was shocked!!!! Three, is it the paint? It is a acrylic latex. Something I don't think I've ever used, so maybe some research is in order.... hmmm, now there's an idea!

So, what does all this mean for me? Research.... and lots of and lots painting. You getting the picture? I'm getting the deep, dark burgandy I desired, right along with carpal tunnel! LOL! Who knows maybe a shopping trip for another brand of paint is in the near future. Ah, the saga continues..............

No comments: