Saturday, March 05, 2005

Accordian Book Tutorial

These are instructions for an Accordian Book Structure using 12"x12" paper.......... This is a book that I designed completely by hand as I desired to use up some of my 12x12 cardstock stash! This will create 14 6"x6" pages within an Accordian book.

NOTE:
If I desire to use rubberstamps or create any collage work to my pages, I like to decorate my pages prior to actually assembling the book structure, although it isn’t necessary. As with most of my bookbinding tutorials, I suggest you read through them first as I scatter hints and tips in along the way. Please respect my copyright, in the event that these tutorials are posted elsewhere on the web, respect me as an artist and include my copyright along with it. Thank you!

Supplies:
1" brush for glue
PVA {polyvinyl acetate - a white archival artist's glue found on many online bookbinding supplier sites - do a google search. I buy mine by the gallon, which is actually 4 quarts from http://www.BookMakersCatalog.com} I use the Jade 403 PVA for its archival properties. It is a clear drying white glue that cleans up easily with soap and water.}
Bone Folder
Brayer {optional}
Ruler {optional}
Paper Cutter
Pencil
Ribbon {12-14"}
Mat board or Bookboard
Fabric or Paper for Covers
Paper for inside Covers
4 sheets of 12x12 cardstock

Cut 2 6 " L x 6 1/4" W panels from book board or heavy duty mat board

These form the covers of the book.

Cut 2 6 1/2" L x 6 3/4" W panels from fabric or printed paper to cover the book boards

Cut 2 6 1/4" L x 6 1/2" sheets of printed, mulberry, or imported papers; these form the insides of the covers.

The first thing to do is to find the grain of the book board or mat board and all papers. Finding the grain is easy; it basically is finding the direction that the paper naturally curls. The grain should always run parallel to the spine of the book so that the paper can be folded easily and will resist warping. You can basically balance the paper on your forearm; the paper will bend naturally one way or another. Try it first on side, then turn it one-fourth of turn and try again. One side will bend. When starting, you may desire to draw a line with two arrows at each end to remind you of the direction the grain runs.

Apply PVA to the book covers one at a time. Center it on the wrong side of the printed paper or fabric. Brayer or use your bone folder to assist with adhering.

Next, miter the corners. This can be achieved a number of ways. Either fold the fabric or paper over the corner in a diagonal, or use a ruler and mark a 1/2" across and down from each corner, make a pencil mark in each spot, then draw a diagonal line. It is important that you don't cut too close to the corner of the book or your mitered corners will not meet. As I general rule, I leave approx. 1/8" from the corners of the book covers. Cut along the diagonal line.

Apply PVA to the leftover edges on all 4 sides. Along the long sides of the book, Fold these first. I like to stand the cover up vertically and fold the cover itself over towards me; this provides a crisp, clean line. Then, fold the top over and then the bottom. Set aside to dry and repeat for the other cover.

Next, I take the first cover I set aside and using my glue brush apply PVA to the center of the book in a vertical line to adhere my ribbon. I fold my ribbon in half lengthwise and place it in the center of the cover over my glue line and unfold. I usually brayer it to be sure it adheres although you could burnish it in place using your bone folder. Set aside to dry. This cover will become the back cover of the book.

Pick up the other paper you are using for your inside cover sheets. Apply PVA to the wrong side of the them. Center these over the inside of the covers. Set aside to dry while creating the pages of the book.

Determine the grain; place it so it runs lengthwise top to bottom. Cut all 4 sheets of cardstock to 6"x12" sheets. Set one aside. You will only need 7 sheets. Remember to keep the grain of the paper running parallel to the spine {top to bottom}; create a fold at the 6" across to form a card style page with all sheets.

Take 4 of the previously sheets and line them up vertically in front of you. They will resemble an open card one lined up after the other in a /\ formation. Next, take the other 3 folded sheets and flip them over. Line these up between the /\ formation in this fashion V. They should alternate like this /\V/\V/\V/\. You will now adhering PVA to in between each section gluing each “card” to the one behind it. The back of card one in the first row to the back of the card in the back row keeping the above alternating pages in mind. I like to brayer my pages after I glue them to assure adhesion of each as I work. Assemble all pages in the above manner. Set aside to dry. This will take approximately 15 minutes as PVA dries fairly quickly.

Now, we’re ready to move on to actually assembling the book onto the prepared covers. As a general rule, I like to always start by adhering my pages to the back cover first. I’ve discovered it is so much easier to align the front cover after the back one has been set in place. Ready? Take the last page in Accordian-folded pages and begin by applying PVA to the right side of the /\. Press this page so that it is centered on all 4 sides onto the inside of the back cover. Brayer or burnish with your bone folder to assist with the adhesion.
Repeat this step for the front cover using the first page of the Accordian fold, this time using the left side of the /\. Accordian fold all the pages of the book and adhere to the inside of the front cover. Make any necessary adjustments at this time so that the front cover aligns with the back cover. Use the ribbons to tie the book structure shut. You can tie them over the front of the book or along the left edge. Decorate the front cover as desired.

Your book is now complete!

© 2005 Cathy Highland

No comments: