Friday, September 16, 2005

How my mind wanders.........

I recently asked this question on the www.twopeasinabucket.com website's stamping message boards to see if others had any time management tips they could share with me and other stampers and scrapbooker's there. I quickly realized this a.m. that it is isn't simply 2P's, but groups that I participate in, as well as, "the internet" itself. I'd love to discuss this with other artists, so I decided to add this to my blog.

"The MB here on 2P's is wonderful resource where everyone has shared so much information re: supplies, tips, techniques, frugal ideas, etc. and there is so much I'd love to try/do/create, ideas, inspiration; well, you get the idea.......I often have to remind myself that I am looking at the artwork of 10,000 people and not simply one, LOL!

{the same idea applies to those "enabling" posts regarding products and supplies! which I've mentioned in group discussions online}

Anyways, with so many things going on in life, inspiration galore, the desire to create and continue to work on so many projects at once, what time-saving tips can we share with one another?

I try to: Focus on one project at a time working on it as time allows; often starting knowing it will not be finished in one day, week, sometimes a month, and/or over the course of several months.

I "TRY" to limit the number of swaps, RR's, collaborations that I participate in at a time. Time and $$$ both are factors here.

I work on artwork that provides immediate gratification such as creating ATC's, a card, a tag, a journal entry, or in my sketchbook and art idea journal between larger projects.

I break large tasks into smaller tasks and steps to achieve them enabling me to complete the project at a later time.

What do you do that enables you to complete your art? Does having multiple hobbies inhibit your time? How do you work it all in?

Thanks for listening and replying...... I know I can use some assistance with this and though maybe others face these same issues and through sharing our thoughts each of us may learn something from one another that might help us individually with some time management skills."

One response was in regards to the too much time spent on the computer........ which I, too, can relate to as I've definately been there! For some strange reason it is a little too conveinent to sit browsing, surfing, reading, researching, and being inspired.

It's also almost too easy when I lack motivation to accomplish something! Sometimes, I have to force myself to "step away from the computer". I've found once I begin a task, I normally begin getting "gun-ho" after approx. 20 minutes and once I get over the initial shock of it, LOL!

If I Google something {insert product name or technique or other item here} and links galore...... I've discovered I can, do, and could actually lose days on google and still not find exactly what I was hoping/searching for.

Another response was re: multi-tasking.... Yep! it works, in the event that you've time to prepare ahead.

I've used it; probably not as much as I should. Some things I've done:

* pre-stamped images on paper to be trimmed;
* pre-stamped and created masks for most of stamps that are able to be masked;
* colored in images while watching TV and talking on phone.

I'm sure there is more.......... I'm just not thinking too clearly yet to create a complete list.

Anyways, I think for me having 3 interrelated hobbies, scrapbooking, rubberstamping, and creating handmade books and bindings inhibits me at times. I take photographs for scrapbooking and for use in all my hobbies. Stamping overflows into each, however, not my scrapbook pages enough as it has been forever since I've created an actual page {8.5x11 or 12z12} but my books are often fashioned in scrapbook/altered book/collage style.

Several things I've think about doing is setting up a bookbinding station in my house since my studio is separated from it. My thoughts are:

* Cutting bookboard for covers must be done in studio for larger books as I've no room for my mat cutter; however, my rotary trimmer does work well in here for smaller sizes.

* Covering the book covers;

* Cutting, scoring, and stacking pages to create signatures could be done in advance

* Using the awl and awl guide for the book structure could be done. {Although, I'm not too sure if I should wait until after the pages are decorated or this could be done first for some sewn bindings as I normally create then decorate. Maybe some experimenting is in order!}

Thinking about all of this, I weighed the pro's and con's of each, factors that prevent me from achieving these goals, and looked for options. The main reason I don't work in my home is I've a terrible habit --- I smoke cigarettes. I don't want the RAK's I send, cards I create, and other projects smelling... I quit once for 4 months many years ago and I discovered just how awful cigarette smoke smells. It permeates everything, my hands, my hair, clothing....... It is a terrible habit! I could simply clean everything in my home and smoke outside only. It is ironic that I don't smoke in my studio! Never. No exceptions. I realize bettter yet would be to stop smoking altogether! I am aware of the benefits for my health, Don's health, everyone around me, the $$$ I'd save, so this is a big consideration for me right now. So, if you are reading this, please pray and send some positive vibes my way...... I'm certain I can use them. I'm thinking until I can actually break the habit, or smoke outside only when I do, I really shouldn't consider setting up anything in here bookbinding related. So, Back to square 1!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mat art is a fun exercise inPlay Mat dinamics for more info.